𝚇𝚅𝙸𝙸

(Name's POV)

As I open my eyes, I am greeted by darkness, heavy breathing, and someone's tight grip on my right hand. I blink my eyes, my vision beginning to adjust to my dark surroundings, and I realize I am in some sort of castle. My right shoulder is firmly pressed against the back of, what I assume to be, a couch, wrapped in a very luxury looking fabric. I can't tell exactly what I'm dealing with here, but the sounds of swords clanging and men screaming somewhere nearby tells me that something is terribly wrong. I follow the hand grasping mine to a boy who seems to be around my age. He peeks his head up to look around before he says, "It appears to be safe now, Princess. Come with me."

"What's going on?" My voice shakes in fear.

He stands and extends his hand to me with a reassuring smile. "You needn't worry about that. Let us get you to safety." I hesitantly reach for his hand and he pulls me to my feet, and although his face is somewhat blurred, I can clearly make out the color of his eyes.

His right eye is a bright, emerald green, and his left eye a soft, pale blue.

I've never seen such beautiful eyes before in my life.

He brings me to the far doorway and checks the next room before making a run for it, pulling me behind him. "Follow me, quickly!"

"O-Ok!" I run as fast as my feet can carry me, but it seems like it's still not fast enough to keep up with him. I trip and go crashing to the ground, my hand slipping from the boy's grasp. He abruptly turns around and comes back for me, a worried look on his face.

"Are you alright?!" He whispers, crouching beside me as he helps me up. I can't say a word through the quivering of my lips and just stare at the floor. He places a hand on my cheek and raises my gaze to meet his. "Hey, it's ok. Don't worry. I'll figure out another way to get you out of here." His smile was genuine and comforting— but I could tell he was trying to put on a brave face for me.

The kid was just as terrified as I was.

His eyes scan our surroundings before his eyes open wide. "Can you walk?" I nod, and he helps me to my feet and slowly leads me to the wall. I stare at it, trying to find its significance as he brushes his hand along the wallpaper before resting it on a small crevice. His eyes light up and he pushes his fingers into the crack, pulling open a hidden door. He hoists me up into the opening and as I look around, confused as to what the contraption is, he smiles as he begins wrapping a rope around his hand. "It's a dumbwaiter. I can lower you down into the kitchen. There should be some servants down there who can lead you safely out of the castle."

I grasp his sleeve, "What about you?"

"Don't worry," he reassures me. "I'll be right behind you." I nod, slowly releasing his shirt and he nods his head. Just as he gets ready to lower me down, we hear dozens of footsteps, and a man's voice barking orders.

"Search every room— we have yet to find the Prince. No member of the Royal Family is leaving here alive today!" Cheers erupt out in the hallway, and the men begin closing in on us.

The boy turns to look at me with a frightened look, whipping his head back and forth between me and the corridor. He unwraps the rope from his hand and hands it to me. "Hold this tightly. You will have to lower yourself down."