𝚇𝙸𝙸

I scoff, dryly. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that I know who you are, who you're traveling with, and where you're going," she smiles, shooting a fierce, quick glance behind me.

"Who are you?" I ask as I turn to follow her gaze

Her small hand tightly grasps mine, bringing my attention back to her. "That's a pretty expensive answer, my dear, (Name)." I roll my eyes, turning my gaze back to my glass, now refilled. She quietly sighs and gazes at me with somewhat of a longing.

She almost seemed heartbroken.

"She loved you, you know." My heart stops and she nods, her lip slightly quivering. "More than anything." I stare at her in silence, unable to utter a word as her pale eyes shoot glances around the room to ensure no one was watching before leaning in, close to my ear, whispering: "The Daughter of the Pirate King."

I flinch away from her, pulling my hand from her grasp. "W-What...?"

"Mo," she mouths, the hand she used to grasp my hand, now resting gently on my knee.

"... You knew her?"

"We were a little younger than you are now when we met," her face glows, obviously reminiscing on fond memories as she flips a golden coin into the air. "But, I knew her long before that."

I take a deep breath, "You do know that she's-"

"Dead?" She snatched the coin, midair, twirling it between her fingers, her brows creasing as she nods slowly. "I was there."

You were there and you didn't help her...?

She seems to notice where my train of thought had gone. "I am everywhere— all of the time, (Name)." Her hands grasps mine once again, flips it over, and places the golden coin onto my palm. "A gift from me. I'm sure you'll be needing a big favor soon. Cash this in whenever you are ready."

I stare silently at the strange coin in my hand; I had never seen this currency before. A voice to my left suddenly cuts through my thoughts. "Mind if I take a seat?" I turn and make eye contact with Afonso, and I nod.

"Unusual that a woman like yourself would be sitting in a bar alone," he sits down and says to me, turning to the bartender, seemingly ordering his usual.

"I'm not alone, I was actually just talking to-" I turn to gesture at the woman in the green hood.

But she's gone.

"A chair?" He raises his eyebrow at me, teasingly. "Is that common practice in Fossores?"

"N-No," I shake my head, clumsily stuffing the coin into my pocket.

The bartender slides the leader's order down the bar top, to which he lifts his cup and cheers to him in thanks. "And one for my friend here, as well," he requests, and the bartender nods, pouring me a glass of whatever Afonso had gotten.

After a few moments of silence and sips on the new drink, I speak up, "Where is the Captain?"

"Charles? At the dock with your Carpenter, discussing repair costs and such with Chen," he shrugs.

Charles? He must've been given a fake name.

"You trust that man to be alone?"

He turns and looks down at me, suspiciously, "Is there a reason I shouldn't?"

I bite the inside of my cheek and shake my head. "No."

"A personal vendetta, is that it?" He smirks, easing the clear glass to his lips. "I admire that." He chugs the entirety of the contents of his glass, setting down the cup and sliding it back down the bar top to the bartender for another. "I sit at the heart of a Kingdom with the biggest military in the known world. A single man and his crew has never struck fear into me."