𝙸𝙸

"(Name), wake up!"

Not again.

"Please, (Name)!"

I open my eyes and shoot up, hitting my head against a set of metal bars. "Where am I?" I groan, rubbing the tender spot on my forehead. I look around, taking in my surroundings. We were surrounded by woods in what seemed to be the dead of night, the only light coming from the fire of the few torches set around the square.

"And SOLD, to the two men in the back!" The men stand and make their way to the front of the crowd; they stand a head taller than the rest of the bidders.

"Wait!!" My head snaps in the direction of my brother's voice. He's sitting in a cage similar to mine, frantically shaking the bars as the men draw closer. The auctioneer unlocks the cage and pulls him out, shackling his wrists and ankles. At this point, the men are right in front of him, and he raises his head to meet their gaze. "Please," my brother's voice sounds fragile as he folds his hands and pleads with them. "Don't take me from my sister." The man with the frizzy up-do scoffs at his request and shifts his intimidating gaze to me, while the one with scars on his crooked nose slightly furrows his eyebrows.

The first man leans down to get eye-to-eye with Klaus, and growls in his face, "Houl yer whisht and move your arse." He roughly grabs the chains connecting his wrists and starts to drag him away, while the other tosses a bag of coins at the auctioneer.

"(Name), no!" My brother attempts to fight his way back to me, but the man is a lot taller and stronger than him. They disappear into the crowd as the other men push their way to the platform.

"400 coins for the girl," the man on the pedestal moves on, "She can work in your household as a maid, or perhaps as a nanny for your children. She is also of child-rearing age, herself."

"I'll take her for 400!"

"450!"

"600!"

Hold on...!

As the numbers rise, so does the noise. I cover my ears and shrink to the back of my cage.

Then, just as quickly as the noise grew, the crowd quiets. I open my eyes and begin scanning through the men below before they come to rest upon a man standing on the platform, dressed in a floor length, red fur coat, holding the auctioneer off the ground by his neck. "Give me the girl."

"You can't just come here and threaten the caller!" A man speaks up from the crowd. Another tall man with glasses appears behind him and swings a long staff at his legs, breaking them at the knees.

A boy with silver hair and pale, purple eyes stands over him as he screams in pain. "I don't believe we asked."

Faint whispers arise from the people below, "Are they the Ghosts of the Sea...?"

"The Norse Vikings from that old warriors tale? It can't be. They all died out hundreds of years ago."

"Yet, here we are," a shorter, blonde haired man smiles sweetly at them, the look in his eye almost threatening.

The first man throws the auctioneer into the crowd, and grabs the giant axe that had been held in straps from his back, swinging it around his body before jabbing the hilt onto the wooden platform. "We are the Meren Haamuja (1)," he begins. "I am Hersir (2) Mathias Køhler, and we are not requesting for the girl to be turned over to us, we are demanding it."

"You have no right!" The auctioneer spits in the dirt below.

As soon as the saliva leaves his lips, he falls to the ground, a deep slit in his throat. The men around him scream as blood pours from his mouth and his wound. "Lukas, you were supposed to wait for my orders! I'm the captain," Mathias quietly stomps his foot and whines. Lukas, a man with a white cross barrette and a blank, blue stare rolls his eyes as he wipes blood from his blade.