"Those guys sure had a field day, didn't they?"

At my witty remark, Haden clenched his fists and his jaw tightened but, as usual, he opted for silence.

The nurse continued with her assessment, "the cuts on your face neck and arms seems to have cleared up quite well - very impressive. Your healing rate is unusually rapid. I've had wolves with less damage than you take twice as long to heal what you've managed to do in two days."

"Wait, I've been out for two days?"

"Your body needed the rest, trust me," Maya reassured, "and you'll be getting much more of it over the next day or so."

"Look - Maya - you're a really sweet girl but I'm not up for staying at Hotel White Walls for another day or so."

"Oh yes you are," Haden interjected.

"No," I tried my best to glare at him, "I'm not."

"You'll stay until you're fully healed, without question."

"It's your own fault I'm even here, thanks to those pack members you love so much, and now I can't get a say in my own healthcare?"

He opened his mouth to respond then snapped it shut, returning my glare before he turned to Maya.

"When will she be fully healed?"

"Normally I'd say another week or so but she's healing rapidly so maybe a day or two," she answered him before she turned to me with softer eyes as she pressed a button on the controller for the ivy drip, "plus most of the day you'll be asleep so you won't even notice the difference. You heal pretty fast, almost as fast as Alpha Haden, which is a shock in itself because he's an Alpha. Don't worry about anything okay, just rest up. I'll come and check on you in a few hours," she added as she pressed on the button connected to the machine close to me.

With a smile, she left the room and I grumbled like a child as I settled back in bed, slightly wincing at the movement in my lower abdomen.

I already knew I was a fast healer. I never knew or understood why but I definitely didn't complain about it. Fast healing came in handy as a rogue - each day being a reminder that only the strong would survive.

"It's not going to be that bad and -"

"Go away Haden," I muttered as my eyes closed, feeling the infusion of whatever Maya plunged into my system doing its job, "I don't want you here... and I need to sleep." With that, I fell blissfully to sleep.

When I awoke, the room wasn't as bright as before. Fluorescent lights gave the room a slight glow and beyond the glass windows I could see the evening sky. Involuntarily, I reached for my throat and grimaced at the sudden need for water. The chair in the corner of the room was empty, only the cold air occupying it now, and I couldn't say that I was surprised. I told him to leave and he did.

I looked down at my arms once again, noticing the bruises that lined them were gone, but the tubes remained. I was about to yank them out when I heard a shout from outside the door.

"It doesn't matter! She's your mate and you ought to give her some respect."

Was that... was that Conner?

I strained my ears to listen as another voice replied.

"You don't know anything about -"

"You need to accept what is, Haden, before any more damage is done. Those men attacked her because of what she is - what they think she is - a rogue and not your mate."