𝒳𝐼𝒱. 𝒮𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝐵𝓊𝓏𝓏𝓀𝒾𝓁𝓁

Act One: Chapter Fourteen

Word Count: 1988

[ Season One, Episode Six]

Hope, that's what this was, hope for another tomorrow—no hope for a better tomorrow and not just survival. When the group adjusted to the blinding light emanating from the building, they were greeted by an empty lobby.

"Sawyer, Daryl, cover the back." Shane ordered before caustically leading the group into the building.

"Hello? Hello," Rick voiced in a questioning manner as he entered the lobby.

No one answered, and instead all Rick got in response was audible silence accompanied by the pitter-patter sounds of the group's footsteps. So he repeated, "Hello? This time, however, Rick got greeted to the sound of a gun cocking and an average-looking guy in sweatpants pointing a rifle at him and the group.

"Anybody infected?"

"Uh well," Eve started with an emotional crack in her voice. When Jules and Glenn heard the distress in Eve's voice, they both immediately rushed up to give her a comforting hand on the shoulder.

Rick then stepped forward and answered, "One of our group was. He didn't make it."

Still pointing the rifle at Rick and the group, the man asked two more questions. "Why are you here? What do you want?"

"A chance," Rick replied.

"That's asking an awful lot these days."

"I know."

Following that, the man eyed everyone in the group, almost like he was evaluating them, and then, after what felt like an eternity, said, "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

Rick nodded in acknowledgement and earnestly responded, "We can do that."

Upon hearing that, the man finally lowered the rifle. "If you have stuff to bring in; you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed."

"Alright, I'll get our stuff," Jules announced, turning to Glenn. "Wanna come with me?"

A smile formed across Glenn's lips. "Always."

"I'll come with y'all and help carry it all," Daryl chimed in.

Jules was taken aback by this and accidentally cringed as she absentmindedly blurted, "Why?"