Chapter - 5, The tale of an innocent prisoner

Inspector Jobin Jose was named Rambo among his troops for his violent approach towards merciless criminals, but well known for his case-solving skills. He rarely talked to people; his ideology was to keep his mind calm and steady, which helped him to spend time thinking about all the possible ways to solve his cases. On the other hand, he was very spiritual and always remembered to chant the name 'Jesus', and spent his free time reading spiritual books. He even apologized to God before raising his hands against evil.

He also was well known for solving cases in his premises, ensuring that he would close every case within a month, and he was successful at it. But, there were 2 cases which he had been unable to break since the past 2 years; he had worked on it, challenging his credibility, but he never succeeded. A drug mafia and prostitution ring were giving him nightmares. It didn't allow him to sleep. He had spent days thinking and putting in his energy in finding out the criminal who was dealing with all these. But, unfortunately, he could only catch the small fishes. However, still the drug mafia and prostitution ring was growing without any control, spreading its arms all across the state. He had taken initiatives by providing high security in all entry areas of the city, and checking every vehicle and man to ensure any drugs entering the city were seized; he had installed CCTV cameras across the city, mainly in markets, schools, colleges, hospitals, traffic signals and in all entry areas to try and control the drug mafia and prostitution ring. But, he failed in banishing the evil from society. Being unsuccessful in his attempt in finding out the criminal behind the drug mafia and prostitution ring, he has decided to give in his resignation. He was preparing for his departure when he was interrupted by a voice which said, "Hello sir." When he raised his head to look towards the sound, there stood a team of four with a kid. He could get the smell of alcohol.

"I am Arjun Dev," I introduced myself. "We got this kid on the shores of the ocean; she doesn't want to go to her father, but she said that her sister is here; that you have taken her in your custody."

Jobin glared at me and closed his nose with his right hand. Irrespective of the awkward smell emerging out from my mouth, I tried to convey information. "Sir, the kid's mother is dead, so could you help this child?"

In frustration, the angry inspector, without any interest in what I was conveying, said, "Consult the head constable sitting in that corner." Saying so, he lowered his head and continued typing his resignation letter.

Satwik interrupted. "Sir, can we meet this child's sister?"

Now, we could understand the inspector's frustration; he was controlling his anger. He said, "What's her sister's name?"

The kid responded, saying, "Nanditha."

The inspector shouted the head constable's name and said, "Allow them to meet that prostitute in cell number 02." He lowered his head, typing his resignation letter and murmuring, pointing at me, "Never again attempt to enter this place after consuming alcohol; be aware of it."

Knowing the aggressiveness of the angry officer, we just turned towards the head constable, but I was not in a position to digest the word 'prostitute' used by Jobin; it was not ethical of him to call his prisoner that. We four looked at each other's face worriedly. The constable helped us by showing us the way towards cell number 02.

There she was. A beautiful young lady with a curvy figure. As we went closer to her, she recognized me and said, "You are Arjun, Sachin's cousin, right?" She was very confident when she spoke. But, I have no idea about her. I couldn't remember any occasion where we have ever met.

"Of course, you are right, but I believe I haven't met you before. Am I right?"

"Probably you have forgotten. I had visited during your cousin, David Karim's, wedding. Sachin had invited me." She said, "I remember, your aunt slapping you in front of everyone that day."