Chapter - 3, Cousin's wedding incident.

Chirag was fast enough to cover half the distance pretty soon; Satwik and Balram had a great sleep all the way. I sat next to the window behind Chirag and was observing the greenery on either side of the road. Picking up the last cigarette from the pack, pointing towards the wandering horses, I said, "Chirag, what do you remember when you look at the horse?"

He gave a sarcastic smile and said, "The 'Godfather' movie. The head of the horse cut and placed on a bed beside the owner." He laughed. "I know what you are thinking about, you riding a horse on the streets of Bangalore. I remember the way you climbed it, and it was the funniest moment."

"It's the best part of my college life," I said.

"Best or worst? I remember your aunt caught you and slapped your cheek. We disappeared from the place the next moment after your aunt raised her hand." They all started laughing loudly.

Satwik did not keep quiet. "I still remember, after her response, you were angry because of the insult, and you were in a hurry to find a quick escape, and again you tried to climb the horse to run away, but you failed to climb it. You fell on the ground, and we all ran out without helping you." They were laughing aloud.

*

Sahana had informed me that she would be in the city in next 5 minutes; she was there on my invitation to my cousin, David Karim's wedding, and I was in a blazer, tie and shoes, welcoming the guests. I asked many people to help me pick my friend from the railway station, but everyone was busy arranging things. And my sister had taken my wallet. I searched for her but I did not find her. My uncle gave me his bike key, but I didn't know how to ride it. Looking all around for help, finally, I had gone to a charioteer who was decorating the chariot for the wedding couple's parade. When I approached him, he said "Saab, my chariot is ready to carry the couple now; I don't think I should come with you. Hope you will understand the criticality."

I had hoped he would understand my problem. It was Sahana; if it had been any other person, I wouldn't have bothered that much. Ignoring his words, releasing the horse, I climbed onto it. The horse started running the moment I got on. It ran in the direction it wanted, and this was not only the first time I was riding a horse but also the first time I had touched creature horse, that too while wearing a blazer.

The horse took off on the road, on footpaths; it followed no rules, and there was no license for horse riding. Kids on the road clapped looking at me; two-wheel riders saw me and tried to race. I was unable to take control of the horse; it just ran. I was trying my best to hold the bridle, making sure not to fall on the road.

It ran as if it was a competitor in a race. I was trying hard to pull the bridle to stop it running, but I failed; however, I managed to get it to slow down. After continuous efforts, I succeeded in stopping it. Fortunately, the railway station was half a mile away. Stepping down from horse, I started walking towards the railway station and tied the horse at the gates. Sahana was already waiting for me; she glared at me and said, "Was it necessary to come personally and pick me up?" Folding her hands, coming closer she said, "It's your cousin's wedding, they require your help. As said, I would have come with the help of an auto rickshaw. You wanted to come and pick me up personally, look at you now. You look like an exhausted employee roaming around the city." She shrugged, but how could she know the level of importance I felt in staying with her. When I moved to release the horse, she had an astonished expression; raising her eyebrows. "You came riding a horse to pick me up?" She stood covering her mouth with her right hand and her left arm on the trunk.

I offered her a horse ride; she laughed continuously in an uncontrolled manner. "No, I can imagine. I can't join you." She continued to shout, "You carry on with your horse ride, and I will catch you in the wedding hall." Saying, so she got into an auto rickshaw. She looked so beautiful when she laughed.