Prologue

The village always attracted me, when I saw images online of my village, it tempted me. I imagined the green fields, beautiful trees, blue ponds, large streches of land and a beautiful house with a big family.  My father Jahangir Shaikh, was a proud man, he didn't believe in educating woman, but since he joined politics he had maintain a facade. He sent me to US to complete my PHD in literature, a subject I loved. Poems, novels and fiction always pulled me in, I could read for hours and he lost in the imaginary world of the book. It took me somewhere else, a place where I could be accepted, a place I could accept.

I have reached the age of twenty, never dated a man. Never got the time to actually, I have fallen for many guys in my college but because of caste and religious differences I kept my feelings in my heart. My mind remembered those differences but my heart forgot them. I wish to find a Mr Darcy like Elizabeth did in Pride or Prejudice. A man who has a sense of honesty, loves his family and respects me but more than that he holds back his pride. My heart yearns for a lover, a man worthy of me, of my love. I am a hopeless romantic, the type of person who could carve stones for their lovers, write beautiful sonnets in their memory and give up my wealth for them.

When my degree got completed I knew, I had to say goodbye to my beautiful solitary world and go back to my hometown. What I didn't know was that he would take to the village and force me to marry a man I had never met. Maybe this is why people are ashamed to mention that they had arranged marriage because people believe it means forced. I was forced and so was he, neither of us wanted this marriage but we were stuck. In an unwanted bond, what I didn't know at that time was that he hated me.

My husband hates me.