Chapter Seventeen.

Rose.

And finally, we head back to the estate the morning after. And this time, I am no longer a girl but a woman. I giggle to myself just thinking about it. I always imagined intimacy to be different, not the way I experienced it. It was different, special, pleasurable and I cannot wait till we are back home. Just imagining the previous night makes me feel hot and bothered. I push open the small window on the carriage and Leila who is suffering from a serious hangover opens her eyes due to the light.

"Why are your cheeks so red? Are you sick like me?" she slurs out and I run my hand through her hair to make her go back to sleep and it works. She is laying her head on my lap while the husbands are opposite us discussing the regions matters. So I am left to my thoughts and they will not stop going back to the passionate night I just had.
Now I understand the novels I spent my youth years reading.

The capital is not that far from Heartfelt so it only takes us two days and a night.

"You two did it, right?" I stop smiling at my husband and turn to Leila.

"What are you on about now Leila?" I try to feign innocence and look away from her but she just laughs.

"I knew it. You owe me Noah." I feel all hot again and start fiddling my hands on my lap. Then a hand holds mine and I look up.

"There is nothing to be embarrassed about. We are after all married, are we not Malika?" he gives me a smile and now that I know the meaning of the word, it just feels different. A good different. So I turn to Leila and smile.

"Yes we did. And I wish you told me sooner how go-" Clarence's hand tightens in mine as he clears his throat.

"We have arrived. You will talk more tomorrow." he says getting off the carriage.
Noah who has been awfully quiet finally bursts out laughing.

"They look like a couple having an affair they do not want people to know." Noah comments and I just roll my eyes playfully getting off the carriage.

"Well, shall we meet soon?" I ask Leila and she nods.

"I will be joining my husband here tomorrow. I will also bring my youngest." she smiles. It must have been hard to be away from her children all this time. I smile back.

"If you could, bring all your children. This house is way quiet and boring.

"If it is no bother then I will bring them. See you tomorrow Rose." she waves and I wave back.

"See you tomorrow Leila." Noah nods at us before closing the carriage door and the horseman tugs at the horses, making them start their journey.

"Do you want to make our own?" am startled by the way he grabs me from behind and my back is pushed again his front.

"What? Carriage? I mean, it would be convenient if we have to travel around but I li-" he cuts me off laughing and his vibrations send eruption of something in me.
"What? Did I say something funny?" I turn in his arms and he is just smiling.

"It is so cute how innocent you are." he mutters placing his lips on my forehead in a soft kiss before moving his face back that I have a clear view.
"I was talking about children." he brings his hand to my belly and I can feel my cheeks heat up. I smile.

"Can we?" I ask already feeling excited. How did I come to the decision of not wanting to have children again?

"Only if my duchess wants too." he says placing another kiss on my cheek.

"I want to. I want seven little boys and girls running around." I do not hesitate to tell him. He laughs, that laugh that does things to me before he picks me up. I look around shyly and then hide in his chest.

"Let us go make babe number one then." he says proudly and I slap his chest for being so loud. I really do want to have children with this man. I know he will be the best father.

***

"I have a question but you do not have to answer if you do not want to." he starts, drawing small circles on the small of my bare back as I lay on top of him. I lift my head from his shoulder and nod.

"You may ask." I tell him softly letting my head go back to it's position. This man smells good. Like wood and a touch of citrus. A combination that works only for him I guess.

"On the first day of our marriage you said you did not want to have children." I hum," Why?" he asks. It takes me a long second before I get up and sit in between his legs. He sits too, leaning back and I cover myself in a blanket. The weather is chilly.

"Because I was scared." he furrows his brows." Do not get me wrong, I was not afraid of you. I was afraid of marriage as a whole. I grew up with parents who did not love one another and thus, did not show my brother and I love." he furrows his brows.

"But everyone adored and admired the love between the king and queen." he says rubbing his jaw thoughtfully.

"One thing I give credit to my parents for, is their acting. They were perfect pretenders that no one except the head mistress and master knew. My brother and I were tricked too until we grew and started noticing the little things. And that is how we found out the story behind their marriage." I sigh.

"Wait, there is a story? I thought they both came from royal families and we're married according to the customs of maintaining the royal blood pure." he says and I nod.

"That too. But..." I pause and look at him, I have never found anyone trust worthy enough to share this sacred story with and it has been burning in my heart for very many summers. "Do you want to hear a story?" I ask inhaling deeply.

"Please, entertain me." he settles comfortably.

"Well, do not cry by the end of it." I warn and get comfortable.