Tʜᴇ Rᴜɴᴡᴀʏ

Start from the beginning

"What, are you JJ now ?" Pope says as John B pushes him into the table.

"Oh my god. Are you okay ?" Estrella asks before she follows after John B. "John B, what's your problem ?"

"John B, what the hell are you doing ?" JJ asks as they follow Estrella outside.

John B gets on JJ's bike as they make it outside. "John B, what the hell ?"

"Ward knows about the gold." He yells as they stop. He turns to them, "He killed my dad."

Estrella's breath hitches as John B takes off. Kie tries to run after him.

"John B !"

"Shit." JJ says as they watch him ride off.

______________________________________

It had been a couple of hours since John B left. The others tried to get a hold of him, but had no luck. They looked around wherever they could, but couldn't find him. So, they took the boat and made their way to the Cameron house.

"What now ? We just go up to the front door and ask, "Hey, have you seen John B ?" JJ says as they look toward the house.

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible. Look, we can play dumb." Kie says

"Play dumb ?"

"It's pretty late." Pope says

"Look, I've never seen John B like that. We should honestly be going to the cops."

"The cops- Yeah, and say what, Kie ? We're worried about our friend because he's on a rampage because Ward Cameron killed Big John ? Like, they're not gonna believe us !" JJ says

"Hey, I see Ward." Estrella says as she hands Pope the binoculars

"Let me see." Kie says taking them from Pope.

"Doesn't look dead to me. Let's go home." Pope says quickly

"Wait."

"What ?" Kie exclaims

"Uh... Okay. Obviously, Mr. Cameron is fine, and even if John B was here, he isn't now, okay ? Plus, I have the biggest, most important moment of my life in six hours." Pope says

"Yeah, well, our friend is in trouble."

"I'm in trouble." He emphasizes, "Guys, I haven't been home in three days. My dad's probably put all my shit on the street by now."

"Okay, so that's it ? In a time of need, you're just gonna bail ? You're just gonna walk away ?"

"It's not like that, Kie. Everyone else has their lives going on too. Not just John B." Estrella says

"Okay, yo, guys, can we not do this right now ?" JJ says

"Hey, I have a scholarship interview in the morning. I can't-"

"Okay, well, what about John B ?" Kie says

Pope huffs, "Why is it always about John B ?"

JJ sighs putting his head in his hands as Kie looks around. "It's not always about John B. You're so stupid. It would be any of you in this situation."

"Oh, bullshit !"

"Guys-"

"This is about friendship."

"Bring it down." JJ whispers harshly

"Look, this is about Pogues for life."

"What about forensic pathology, huh ?" Pope says

"Forensic pathology ?"

"It's my life. Everything I've worked for."

"That's your priority ?" She exclaims

"Stop with the moral high ground bullshit." Pope snaps

"Pope, come on." JJ says

"No."

"Excuse me ?" Kie says

"No, no. She has no room to talk. Where were you when Big John went missing ? You weren't there. You weren't there for John B. You weren't there for any of us. Remember your Kook year ?"

"Dude." JJ says

"Yeah, you forgot about us. Now you feel guilty."

"Give me a break." Kie says pushing him

"Hey !" JJ says jumping up.

"That what you need ?"

"Come on."

"You need a break ? Move !"

"Hey ! Yo, yo, yo, cut it out, all right ?" JJ says splitting them up. Estrella gets up and stands in front of Pope. "If I'm the one mediating, we've hit rock bottom."

Pope and Kie breathe heavily as they stare each other down.

"Bow, now." He says firmly to Pope. "Go ! Pope, I'll drop you off."

Before JJ could start the boat, Kie turns to Estrella. "You know what ? I can't believe you're actually defending him."

"Kie." JJ snaps

"Of course I'm gonna defend him. That interview can dictate his whole life. It's important to him." Estrella says

"Yeah, well, if he were a real friend, he'd be worried about John B."

"He is a real friend. We all are." Estrella exclaims, "But there's nothing we can do, Kiara. He's not here."

"He's not a real friend because if he were, he'd actually be worried about John B and he'd tell you about JJ." She spits

"What are you talking about ?" Estrella says. She looks to JJ who puts his head down as he clenches his jaw. "What is she talking about, JJ ?"

"They bet that JJ could sleep with you, that's what. You're so hellbent on Pope being a good friend and yet he hasn't told you."

"Estrella, I swear I-" Pope starts

"JJ." She says as she starts to get teary eyed. He lifts his head up, "Is that true ?"

"Star-"

Estrella looks down and blinks rapidly as she sits on the other side of the boat. A tense silence falls over the four of them as JJ stares at her before he starts the boat and takes off.

______________________________________