24.Sacriface

Hi! Here is a beginning of the original idea from which this story developed. But I just couldn't let it go and now today you finally  see what was the beginning of "Separeted Ways";-) But here's also a warning! If you don't have resilent nerves, better stop reading it now. Trust me even I don't know what happened on the pages here, but for someone it may be too less delicate. Feel warned, but for the rest I wish you good reading anyway

Luckily for Sam, Lucas forgot about this case. When Otto came back, Lucas briefly told him what happened and that he should be more careful next time. The laughter came back to inside of the walls of the firestation when they were doing they everyday jobs when Otto was once again with them. 

After another week working night shifts, Sam finally found time to talk with Penny on the video call. When he was working night shift and she worked a twenty-four hours ones it was hard to call on the video, because either Sam was at work or Penny had just came back. So they decided to wait untill Sam's shift would come back to day shifts.

"You look tired" he noticed immediately when Penny picked up a call from him. "Did something happen?"

"We were just rescuing mother and her child from the car accident for over two hours. They were badly stuck inside" she explained quickly. 

"Have they made it?" Sam asked. 

"Yes, at least they are alive" Penny smiled weakly. "How was your shift?"

"Didn't we promise that we wouldn't talk about work?" Sam looked at her skeptically, because it was Penny who invented that. 

"Yes, but actually..." she looked at him hesitantly. "I wanted to ask you something"she announced shyly. 

"Anytime, Penny" Sam replied without hesitation. 

"What did make you realize I was a good firefighter?" Penny asked as she wrapped her arms around her pulled up knees. 

"What makes you doubt that again?" Sam asked her alarmed. 

"I don't know" she shrugged her shoulders defensively. "All this case with my dad and exchange, made me think" she explained briefly.

"Well, I did not only see you as a simple firefighter" Sam hesitated. "I saw a potential in you and I trust you always blindly" he added. "But after all we've been through I know..." 

Unfortunately, a loud sound interrupted him. He silently agreed when Penny asked him if he would mind if she would call him back later. 

Even though he agreed, he still couldn't forgive himself that on the shift next day. Something about a way Penny became happier at the instant when he started talking and that sparkle in her hazel eyes touched his heart.

After annual check-up point at the beginning of the shift, he walked back to his locker and took a small notebook out of his bagpack. He came to officer's office and knock waiting for an answer. Lucas wasn't there on the check-up point, but Sam was sure he saw him today walking out of the house, maybe half an hour before Sam. After a longer while, Lucas opened a door before Sam. With a radio in his hand, he invited Sam in. In a small space in the corner of quiet area for night shifts, there was only a bunk and a desk on which there was a computer with a photo of the fire showed on the display. 

"Maybe I come back later" Sam felt uncomfortable, but Lucas stopped him, putting the radio down on the desk. 

"What brings you here?" He asked, putting a smile on his face. 

"Can you sign it up for me?" Sam handed him an open notebook. 

"Ahh, an exchange journal" Lucas laughed when he realized what he was looking at. "Interesting that they still give them".