Chapter Seventy-Two

Start from the beginning

Introducing them, Christian goes on to explain to the training hall that only one of the three won the Trials, commending their bravery when faced with Valen's presence. A blonde male steps forward after his name is announced, resulting in congratulatory cheers from the amphitheatre.

Yaro and the female stand behind with their arms behind their backs, but they don't seem upset. Their expressions are stoic as they stare forward, standing tall with confidence. All three of them are Warriors, each trained by different Generals.

Christian motions to the remaining pair. He reveals that they will also be granted the Title of a General, praising their efforts inside the maze. Alek and Nikolai, the two previous Generals who were killed due to incompetence, will be who they replace. The blonde will be responsible for the new 13th sector, whilst Yaro will have sector 9 and the female sector 7. Only then does Yaro grin, his beaming smile radiant as his eyes redden with unshed tears.

It's as if a weight has been lifted off the three of them, and they're finally able to relish in their achievements. The doors to the waiting ring open after Gamma approaches the bench Valen and Alia sit on. Unsuccessful competitors rush towards the trio, hugging them and giving them strong pats on their backs with excited grins and congratulatory words.

Alia smiles, a proud and excited feeling blooming in her chest.

'You can congratulate him if you desire,' Valen tells her. 'Do not withhold yourself on my account.'

She almost takes him up on the offer, but then her expression falters and she leans back into him with a frown. If she hugs Yaro, would that make her a hypocrite if just the thought of Valen embracing another female makes her want to shove a blade into the girl's eye?

Her jaw tightens, eyes burning with displeasure. Valen spares a glance at her and fights back a smile.

Christian sighs and sits on the bench. "You're both free to leave," he tells them, but then he sends a sharp look Valen's way. "Next time, tell me if you can't be fucking blindfolded. If Alia wasn't here you would've succumbed before I even got to you." He grabs the tablet from the bench and taps the screen. "Tomorrow, you and I will list every possible trigger you may have and we're relaying it to the Warriors and other Generals so they can learn to prevent them."

Valen leans his head back against the wall, eyes hardening. Lowly, he says, "Is that all, Gamma?"

"Go," Christian says. "Go before the amphitheatre starts clearing and a stray hand inevitably touches you."

Valen stands and helps Alia to her feet. He grabs his reddened sword from its place against the wall and slides it into his scabbard. With his hand on her lower back, Valen guides her to the double doors, expression blank whilst his eyes remain focused.

Looking over her shoulder, Alia decides to quickly mind-link Yaro. 'Congrats, Yaro,' she tells him. His head rises from the lively main hall, eyes searching for her. 'You deserve this. I'll congratulate you properly when I see you next.' When his eyes meet hers, he grins, and she smiles back at him with a raised thumbs up.

Valen holds open one of the doors whilst he looks down at her. Alia looks away from Yaro and meets his white eyes. She smiles. "Home?"

Eyes softening, Valen nods. "I think we both need some rest after today's events."

She nods and walks under his arm. "Will you return to your duties tomorrow?"