MAGIC

Somehow, my days had grown far more hectic.

How so, you ask?

Well, a little nuisance whom I shall not name had intruded upon my life. She came in like a storm after 7 or 8 days, would spend 3 or 2 days with us, then disappear like she was never around.

When she did come, she made sure to let everyone know of her presence. Stealing precious mother-son bonding time, stealing all of the food in the house, exploring the nooks and cranny like a thief scouting their next big score and even worming her way into the heart of the great ass- um, provider of the house.

In case you hadn't guessed it yet, I was referring to Rosine.

That little twerp had somehow become a major force in this household. Her mother would drop her off with the excuse of venturing into the nearby forest, but I had a working theory that Rosine's parents simply needed a little bit of 'Off Time', if you catch my drift.

Taking care of a wildfire like her must have been exhausting, because I highly doubted that she even slept. Yes, she was a perpetual motion machine full of energy and questions. I can't blame them for passing her off to some neighbours when things get too stressful.

However, I absolutely couldn't forgive them for starting this annoying daily routine for me.

Today for instance, Rosine was looking to get a black eye.

"Come on, I heard babies start walking after 6 months. Try it.", She said, lifting my body up by the arms and moving me along with her.

"Hey, hey. I read that babies eyes are good enough to read after 6 months. Tell me what this says.", She shoved a book in my face.

"Say Rosie. RO-SIE. Easy, right?", She kept moving my lips like they were her toys.

"Hey, hey-", I could hear her voice echoing as I hid myself away in mother's room. Rosine had been tormenting me since the morning, having suddenly grown an interest in babies and their capabilities.

I felt like she was ready to tear me up to look at my innards. That child was maniacal.

In the end, I spent the whole morning hiding in the room. The silence eventually got to me and I fell asleep on the dirty wooden floor. Hopefully, by the time I woke up, she'd have left.

Nope.

When my eyes snapped open, there she was, sleeping right next to me. I felt her calmly breathing onto my face, her arms wrapped around me. She'd turned me into her personal teddy bear.

Seems like when I was sleeping, she found me and rather than thinking to move me, she fell asleep next to me.

It was strange though. I never thought the day this little demon would be quiet would finally come. Her graceful sleeping face and peaceful expression put my heart at ease. For the first time, I could see her for the child that she was.

Who would have thought something this small would have made me appreciate this child.

*SNORE*

My new image was suddenly ruined by her piggish snore.

"Tch, you annoying brat. You couldn't even be quiet when sleeping!", My body burned with rage like never before. If I was an immature baby, I'd have balled my fists and slugged her right here and now, but I was better than that.

"Ow! Ow!", Rosine screamed in pain. She jolted up and placed her hands over her eye.

Of course, I didn't know what had happened. In fact, I didn't even hear her screaming. I was asleep and didn't know anything had happened. The universe had chosen to punish her, by punching her in the eye, not me. Yes, let us go with that.