PROLOGUE

Slowly, my eyes succumbed to my weariness as the light dimmed and the world turned to darkness.

My slumber wasn't long, before I felt myself being lifted up and wrapped in a cloth. My eyes finally opened to find myself in the arms of a woman. She looked at me with her dark brown eyes, her face sullied with sweat and clear weariness. Still, there was a twinge of happiness in her eyes that was painfully unfamiliar to me.

"My baby, Belfry.", She said while struggling to hold me up.

'That language doesn't sound Elecryean, but I understand it. What's happening here?'

Someone next to her came over to take a look at me. He possessed dark messy hair and an unkempt beard. His eye bags were so heavy it looked like they would fall at any moment and his sparkling sky-blue eyes traced all over my face, scanning me from head to toe.

Quickly, he took me out of the arms of the woman and our eyes met. I could see the sparkle fade from his eyes as they turned a deep cobalt, making me feel a tad bit concerned.

Well, this was new. I actually felt something. And that something was concern. Strange.

My vision started to blur. Images became too hazy for me to make out, giving me somewhat of a headache.

"Why are his eyes red?", the man faced the woman who was exhausted.

I tried to turn my head towards her, but my body was impossible to move. Still, I could feel there was some form of tension in the room.

No. Wait. Ignoring that. W-Why the hell am I alive? Wasn't I supposed to die for good? Did something interfere with the ritual? Did she betray me? What's happening!?

Of course, I wouldn't come to any answers any time soon and all I could do was to listen to the shouting.

Sheesh. It would seem my new mother was quite the scandalous woman. I apparently had no features similar to her or the man from before, meaning my father wasn't the one who held me. That wasn't information I wished to hear.

Oh well, I guess she won't have to deal with the backlash of criticism since she'd be dying any moment from now. After all, no matter what incarnation I took, my parents always ended up dying before I got to know them.

Feeling that the drama had gotten boring, my mind wondered off to the more irritating issue. I didn't know how long it had been, but I hadn't been able to open my eyes for some time now. Through shut lids, I could tell that the light was far too bright and opening my eyes felt like setting them ablaze.

All I could tell was that I'd been placed down on a bed. Forget knowing where exactly I was, I wouldn't even be able to assume the time of day now. This feels like some form of torture.

"How low, the hero has fallen.", A voice muttered gently in a familiar tongue.

Even through closed eyes, I could tell who it was from their voice alone.

'Hey! What the hell happened!?", I wanted to say, but all that came from my mouth was incoherent babble.

"Now, now. That isn't the sort of language a baby should be using.", She mused, poking at my belly with her finger. I chose to ignore her. At least, I knew that she was reading my thoughts just fine.

'Why did I reincarnate again and how am I a baby this time? It feels so hellish. Did we mess up the ritual? Are we going to have to try again? I don't think I'll be able to take another year of this. Hey. Why aren't you responding? I need answers!'

I felt arms wrap themselves around my frail body. Their arms moved to under my armpits, lifting up my tiny body. I tried opening my eyes to meet theirs, but immediately shut them. I might as well stop trying at this point.

"If I knew removing your limiters would make you this talkative, I would've left you as you were.", She groaned, exasperated by my questions.

'Removing my limiters? What's that supposed to mean?'

"It means I've given you what you wanted.", She said, but I didn't understand anything she was saying now.

'What I wanted, was to die. I am still alive.', I retorted.

Last I checked, death was the opposite of a newly born baby.

"You still don't get it? Well, in that case, I'll wait for you to figure it out. Until then, try to live out this life to its max.", She said, placing me back where I was originally.

'What!? Explain yourself!', I cried, but from the lack of response, I knew I was crying to the wind. There was no one in there besides me. 'Come back, damnit! Don't just leave me like this... Please.'

Following this, was the sound of a door being swung wide open. My ears were filled with the sounds of heavy footsteps accompanied by the creaking of wood. Arms tenderly lifted me up and rocked me gently, while a voice hummed, trying to soothe me.

"Hush, little baby, don't you cry. Mother's going to sing you a lullaby~", She sang, somehow still alive.