❪ 𝟬𝟯𝟲 ❫

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

36. ♥︎ ₊˚༢࿐

Mae and Teddy walk side by side among the crowd of side shops, streets, and buildings full of people rejected out of the city. Which is surrounded by a tall wall wrapped around for miles. Peter and Thomas walk in front of them, Newt and Frypan in the back.

Jorge is following Thomas with doubt, "This place has really gone through hell."

"We just gotta stay together," Thomas dismissed.

"Odds of us shaking our asses in WICKED's face are slim to zero in saving Minho," Teddy quips from the back for only Mae to hear, kicking his feet against rubble as he avoids the eyes of curious strangers.

Mae sighs, glancing around on high alert. Bumps on her skin travel up her arm and tingle on the neck, causing her to turn around past Brenda's head and into the crowd, she saw nothing, but deep down she knew, "Feels like we're being watched."

Teddy shuttered, "I should've stayed at the camp."

Mae turns to him, suddenly being completely aware of his presence, "I can't believe Peter let you come."

"He didn't. I threatened to tell Vince," Teddy says, "I wasn't really, but Peter knew he shouldn't take chances."

She couldn't protect him here. She didn't know if she could protect herself. Riots in the streets get more violent the deeper they go towards the City Wall. Soldiers could get bored and start fighting back, rile them up, start shooting.

Mae couldn't protect them all at once.

A car strolls through the crowd, preaching violence and justice against WICKED. The group stops, and Mae could see at least 4 or 5 people in masks and guns.

She feels that cursed feeling again, bumps on her skin traveling up her arm and tingling the neck, making her face hot and red as she locked eyes with the closest masked survivor.

Mae couldn't see his face, but she could tell without a doubt he was staring directly back at her, his body practically hanging off the car to soak every last second of her presence.

"Mae? You okay?" Teddy pulls her sleeve.

She blinks. The car is gone with the crowd.

"Yeah, M'okay," She grumbles, slipping back into a grumpy state, grabbing his hand.

"That's it, that's our way in!" Thomas says, attempting his way to make it to the front of the crowd and to the gate.

Mae hears this, and squeezes to the front of the group to say, "Think these people are shouting to be let inside if that way was opened?!"

"Thomas! This is not what you're looking for!" Jorge agrees. "You think you're going to find something they can't?"

"Came this far, I'm not turning back now!" Thomas shouts over the crowd.