The Dark Mark - (Quidditch World Cup [Part 3])

Start from the beginning

A crowd of wizards, tightly packed and moving together with wands pointing straight upwards, was marching slowly across the field. Their heads were hooded and their faces masked. High above them, floating along in mid-air, four struggling figures were being contorted into grotesque shapes. 

More wizards were joining the marching group, laughing and pointing up at the floating bodies. Tents crumpled and fell as the marching crowd swelled. Once or twice one of the marchers blast a tent out of their way with their wand. Several caught fire. The screaming grew louder.

The floating people were suddenly illuminated as they passed over a burning tent, and I recognised one of them – Mr Roberts, the campsite manager. The other three looked as though they might be his wife and children. One of the marchers below flipped Mrs Roberts upside-down with his wand; her nightdress fell down to reveal voluminous drawers; she struggled to cover herself up as the crowd below her screeched and hooted with glee.

"That's sick," Ron muttered, appearing next to me and watching the smallest Muggle child, who had begun to spin like a top, sixty feet above the ground, his head flopping limply from side to side. "That is really sick ..."

Everyone hurried out of the tent, gasping. Mary burst into tears, apparating away immediately with her daughter. Xenophilius clutched Luna's arm, disapparating.

"Sarah, Viktor, you're in charge. Get them out of here, get into the woods and stick together!" Bonnie instructed. "We're going to help the Ministry, we'll come and fetch you when we've sorted this out!"

Bill, Charlie and Percy were already sprinting away towards the oncoming marchers; Dad and the others tore after them. Ministry wizards were dashing from every direction towards the source of the trouble. The crowd beneath the Roberts family was coming ever closer. 

"Come on, go! Girls with me, boys with Viktor. If you get in trouble, place your left hand over the middle quidditch hoop on your sweater and whisper either mine or Viktor's name, and we'll find you," Sarah instructed, ushering us all towards the woods. 

I looked back as we reached the trees. The crowd beneath the Roberts family was larger than ever; they could see the Ministry wizards trying to get through it to the hooded wizards in the center, but they were having great difficulty. It looked as though they were scared to perform any spell that might make the Roberts family fall.

The coloured lanterns that had lit the path to the stadium had been extinguished. Dark figures were blundering through the trees; children were crying; anxious shouts and panicked voices were reverberating around them in the cold night air.

We turned around to continue, but someone grabbed my wrist. I turned back around and looked into Kyla's mischievous eyes. "Wanna see why everyone's so scared of Ariana Greenblatt," she pointed back.

Ariana was miles away, but I could feel her fury. She attacked the swarm of Death Eaters, blasting them with her wandless green glow of magic. Any Death Eater that tried to go near her was blasted across the clearing field, some of their heads got ripped off. Everyone else seemed to stay away, Bonnie was using her own purple glow of wandless magic to wrap a protective purple bubble around the Roberts Family, holding them up in the air away from Ariana's fury. 

Half of the Death Eaters apparated away as Ariana finished the rest of them off before spinning on her heel and walking towards the woods straight at us. Bonnie lowered the Roberts family and the others followed Ariana, letting the Ministry deal with the Death Eaters. 

I turned and looked at Kyla, who was smirking. "Terrifying, isn't she? Oi you lot!" she shouted into the trees. "It's over, she did an Ariana Greenblatt!" No one responded.