Chapter 2.6: Promise

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

8th May, 8:25 PM

"Welcome back, Ayanokoji-kun," Karuizawa greeted me from inside the apartment.

As I walked further into the flat, the delightful aroma of a fusion of Italian and Japanese cuisine wafted through the air. It was a rare occurrence to encounter such scents since I had started living with Karuizawa. Typically, it was I who took charge of the culinary duties.

The apartment itself felt cozy and inviting, with warm lighting casting a gentle glow across the room. Soft music played in the background, creating a pleasant ambiance.

I inquired cautiously, "Did you prepare dinner, Karuizawa?"

She responded with a nod, using the back of her hand to wipe away an imaginary bead of sweat from her forehead.

It appeared that she harbored no suspicions about my whereabouts earlier or Amasawa's current location. Amasawa and I had agreed to go our separate ways, with her returning home later.

"I did, so you better be thankful," Karuizawa hissed playfully, though her eyes gleamed with excitement.

"I thought you didn't know how to cook?"

Her long, lustrous blonde hair, usually meticulously tied into a practical ponytail, cascaded in an unstructured flow around her, accentuating her charm. Each strand shimmered under the soft glow of the apartment's lighting, framing her face like a radiant halo.

Like this, she seemed cuter than usual.

"Well, there's nothing wrong with learning something new, is there?"

"It's just surprising, that's all."

I settled into my seat, my gaze falling upon the two dishes Karuizawa had prepared. The first was a serving of lasagna, and the second was a plate of steaming rice with curry.

I couldn't help but feel a twinge of confusion about why she had prepared two distinct meals.

Probably because she lacked confidence in her culinary skills.

Taking up a fork and knife, I began to dissect the lasagna and took a bite.

Refraining from joining me, she watched me with anticipation instead. Finally, she couldn't contain herself any longer and spoke up, her voice filled with hope, "So... how is it?"

"Pretty terrible," I truthfully deadpanned.

The flavor, or rather the lack thereof, left much to be desired. It was a rather unimpressive dish.

Do not let her cook again.

"Wha-!? I put so much effort into it!"

But before she could take my words to heart, I relented, "I'm kidding. It's good, but isn't this just microwave lasagna?"

Her indignant response was immediate. "N-No! I did that myself."

"You did not."

"Well, whatever. I put it in the microwave myself," Karuizawa eventually conceded, her expression a finicky mix of concession and pouting.

She was like a little kid who was proud to have prepared their first meal ever.

"I did, however, take on the rice and curry preparations personally."

I observed her keenly, appreciating the earnest effort she had put into the meal. With that acknowledgment, I took hold of the chopsticks and began to partake in the dish she had prepared.