L: Gone

Lev took his position behind the mic and suddenly he was on the other side of the room. No longer a spectator, he was the one in charge now, in control of the situation and the band and the entire bar with every single one of it's patron looking at him expectantly. 

Being an introvert, it had taken Lev more than a day or two to get used to this nerve-racking sensation but it had been years now. Years since Lina, his best friend, had forced and pushed him on the stage to sing, something he'd always wanted to do but was too shy, in front of a huge Friday night crowd. Just like tonight. 

Except, back then, he had choked for a full five minutes, opened his mouth with no sound coming out and had determinedly glared in the general direction where Lina had stood. 

Somehow, through all that, the band behind him had refused to give up on him and continued to play sick beats for him, waiting for him to jump in anytime. Through many such adventures over the years, Lev had formed an easy companionship with the guys and come to trust them, to talk music with them and just sing his heart out, something he hadn't been able to do with Lina. 

So there he stood on the stage, behind the mic, knowing that someone important to him was standing in the crowd. Waiting for him to sing. 

And so he did. 

He opened his mouth and closed his eyes. Feeling the rhythm from the music drive his body, the pulse in his veins and the beats in his heart, he belted out lyrics to rile up the crowd as much as his blood was rising. 

Life's a tangled web
Of cell phone calls and hashtag I-don't-knows
And you, you're so caught up
In all the blinking lights and dial tones
I admit I'm a bit of a victim in the worldwide system too
But I've found my sweet escape when I'm alone with you.

Just as Lev was singing the chorus about the other person being a sweet escape for the singer, his eyes unwittingly fell on Aleksandr.

Aleksandr, who was already burning a hole with his stare on Leo. Aleksandr stood unmoving, unflinchingly with his arms crossed with his posture clearly indicating that he didn't wish to be interrupted or disturbed. Chills ran down Lev's body, as usual, from his mate's stare. 

Except in this moment, Lev realized that it wasn't just because Aleksandr was his mate. 

It was because Aleksandr was and from the very beginning, had always been, fully focused on Lev. He had always looked at Lev and saw him. Aleksandr had paid mind to every little detail that Lev had particularly said or every simple, minute or monotonous thing Lev had done. He had always seen and accepted it. 

And he was still staring. 

Still staring as if he could not control his body's movement to jerk towards Lev and drag him in his arms, thus, he had to visibly, forcibly restrain himself from doing so. 

Emboldened by the thought, Lev smiled and winked at him and shimmied his body in a little dance. He could tell that Aleksandr had noticed his playful gesture by the way Aleksandr rocked back on his heels in a bid to not go forward. 

The crowd had started dancing on the floor as well but people were instinctively giving Aleksandr a wide berth. Well, as much berth as was possible in a crowded bar with dim neon lights and music on loud. Drunk on the nightlights and buzzing atmosphere, Lev lost himself to music more and more. He was by no means a professional, but he loved spending the night singing anyway. 

After his third song, Lev spotted Aleksandr sitting behind the bar among others with a drink in his hand and eyes on him. Even when he was sitting down and taking some time for himself, Aleksandr was still gazing at Lev. All the attention Aleksandr was lavishing coupled with the feeling of being in his happy place made Leo decide to slow things down a bit. 

"Hello everyone!" The crowed hooted back in a wild cheer. 

"I hope you all are having a great time. Can I get a 'hell yeah' if you are?" Lev asked. 

The crowd went wild again. 

"Hell yeahhh, that was loud, guys. For this next song though, we are mellowing things down a bit so grab your partners and pull them in real close." His bandmate handed Lev an acoustic guitar and instantly, Lev strummed the guitar with a pick. 

Lev tried one more time to direct his singing towards one single, arrogant, rude yet soft and caring person. 

"This song is for... This song is for a special person experiencing his first FNL currently! Thank you." 

Lev chickened out on saying more but started singing instead, hoping Aleksandr got the message. 

Stop the clocks, it's amazing
You should see the way the light dances off your head
A million colors of hazel, golden and red
Friday night* is fading
The moon's reflected by the drink in your hand
My eyes are caught in your gaze all over again.

Even though Lev had already gotten over his fear of singing in the crowd, for some reason, for this song, he didn't dare to look at Aleksandr. The lyrics of this song seemed deeply personal and even though they had just met, it still felt right to Lev to dedicate this song to Aleksandr after tonight's revelations. 

When he finished playing the last string, Lev looked up in the eyes of the crowd and was surrounded by thunderous clapping. He was pleased that the song had been a hit with the people yet his eyes went straight to Aleksandr now. 

Only to find him gone. 

Surprised, Lev looked around, in case Aleksandr had moved again and changed his seat. Or stood at a different angle. Or was coming towards Lev from somewhere. 

However, no matter how long he looked, Aleksandr was nowhere to be found. 

Disappointed, Lev realized that Aleksandr must have left in the middle of the song. His song. 

Lev felt betrayed by the depressing conclusion that Aleksandr was gone. 

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long gap between updates, guys. Real life come in between, sadly.

Anyways, did y'all like the songs? They obviously belong to their rightful owners mentioned below and not at all to me. 

First song: Disconnected by 5 Seconds of Summer

Second song: Afterglow by Ed Sheeran
Friday Night* is because I've changed the lyrics a bit to adapt to the Friday night setting instead of Saturday morning, as mentioned in the original.

Thank you!

Happy reading!

Please vote on my story.