ONE x STEP x CLOSER

Start from the beginning

"What are you staring at me for?" Kira asked, without even sparing a glance at me. Her instincts were still as sharp as ever. 

"Why can't I?" I returned, continuing to stare.

"It's creepy and mildly unsettling."

"You didn't seem to think that when you kissed me," I pointed out slyly. If she was going to be constantly on my mind, it was only fair that I kept myself on hers.

She finally turned and met my gaze with an irritated look. "I covered your eyes for a reason."

"Did you really?" I asked with a sarcastic laugh. "I think I forgot, perhaps you should do it again."

For a moment, Kira looked as if she was about to punch me and knock the idea right out of my head. But instead, she pushed me gently in the arm with a fake, exaggerated laugh. 

"We're being followed," she said in a steady voice. "Keep walking and act natural."

My eyes widened a little but I didn't let the smile slip from my face. I carried on seamlessly, but when I focused my En, I realised that she was right. We were being watched and whoever was stalking us exuded clear malevolent intent. 

Due to her years of training as an assassin, Kira was able to detect it before I did. However, she was a terrible actress. Noticing that she was having trouble taking her own advice to "act natural", I casually extended my arm around her shoulders. 

"You're too tense, Sweetheart." I leaned down and whispered. "Don't give us away."

"I'm trying," she hissed back, evidently still struggling.

I pulled her closer towards me. "Just chill," I said, rubbing her shoulder reassuringly. "They can't hurt you."

Not while I'm here.

As we continued walking, I felt Kira slowly begin to relax, her aura becoming more calm. Unbeknownst to her, I was also struggling to keep control of my aura. Some part of me was seething with anger; anger that could only be quelled by bloodshed. 

The Mafia had some nerve to be tailing us right now. Did they not learn their lesson with that last fucker they sent? Must I increase the casualty count to make my point clear?

I was aching to hunt down whoever was following us, butcher them and send their remains back to the Mafia, along with a greeting card. However, something in the back of my mind told me it wasn't a good idea. I had no knowledge of the enemy, their abilities or their numbers. I didn't want to put Kira in danger.

It was strange, considering I had never been afraid of risking anything before. Yet, now I was mildly terrified at the mere thought of risking her. My arms unconsciously tightened around Kira. It bothered me that I couldn't understand why. 

Kira ~

A few months had passed since the night I was ambushed in the streets by the Mafia. Since then, there had been no violent encounters, probably because Hisoka had insisted on accompanying me everywhere I went. I must admit, I was mildly grateful for that. 

Being a competitor in Heavens Arena, it was impossible to keep a low profile. Of course, I had initially considered signing up with a fake name but it didn't sit right with me. The idea of avenging Kyros as someone else felt wrong. I wanted Azaro to know exactly who was coming for him and who would eventually end him. 

So far, I had managed to accumulate nine wins. The last fight, earlier this evening, had left me battered and bruised, but mentally elevated. I was too close to fail now.