So, fuck it.

Eyes down at my lap, I just chuckle to myself with my arms crossed and I shake my head.

"Something funny?"

I look up, my shoulders moving as I laugh and meet his eyes.

"I just think you're a pathetic excuse of a man." I state.

Harsh? Yes. Deserved? Yes.

Being with Harry has stopped my filters from holding me back. I don't feel unhinged, but in a moment like this, I feel angry enough to not take shit.

I watch as Thomas' face drops. Any smugness disappeared and his face fell into disarray at the fact that I even spoke such words to him.

"Oh yeah?" He raises his brow.

I believe he wants to challenge me...to see how far I'll take it. But I'm not here to fight a grown man, I'm here because I care about Harry.

I nod. "Whatever you and Harry want to work out is between yourselves, but to me, you'll never be more than the father who left him behind."

He scoffs, leaning forward. "And who's to say you'll be in his life long enough to see what we work out, hmm?"

Asshole.

"If it happens like that, I can't stop it." I tell him. "But I'm in his life for now, and I'll do anything to protect him while I'm around."

I meant every word of that.

Thomas reaches for his jacket. "Alright then. We'll see how that goes for you." he shakes his head with clear disapproval as he stands up and places cash on the table. "You have a fantastic rest of your day, Elaina."

He storms out, the few people in the cafe watching as it happens.

As soon as he's out the door, I lean back in the booth and suck in a deep inhale of oxygen that I couldn't find before. I feel hot, a little shaken from the interaction but I didn't let myself feel it until this moment. 

Aldo is urgently over at my booth the second Thomas is out as well. He leans over the table, hand on my shoulder.

"Do I need to go shoot him in the kneecap? Are you alright?" he asks me with genuine concern.

I shake my head, running my fingers through my hair. "I'm fine. But yeah, he's a dick."

Aldo nods. "Yup. I've never even met the guy but he's everything Styles described him as."

I exhale. "I'm gonna run to the bathroom and call Zayn to pick me up."

Aldo pats my shoulder. "Let me know if you need anything. I'm proud of you, kiddo." he says. I give him a small grin as I shuffle out of the booth and head down towards the washrooms.

I stop in the hallway right before the washroom, dialling Harry's number and breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth.

I feel a bit panicky, but I'm making myself remain calm the best I can until I hear Harry's voice.

Leaning against the wall, I wait for the ringing to come to an end, my eyes closed as I try to take in the coolness of the painted brick.

"Hey, you."

"Hi." I breathe out in relief. "I'm so happy to hear your voice."

"You alright?" his voice raises in slight concern.

I rub the back of my hand over my forehead. "I just finished the coffee meeting with your father." I tell him.

"Already?"