Chapter 15: Can't Let Go

Start from the beginning

I don't let her go until I taste her release on my tongue. I don't want my time with her to end. Just the thought of it makes me want to call into work and stay the extra week with her.

I stand up and cover her mouth with mine, letting her taste the both of us.

"So fucking sweet, Hanni," I growl against her lips. "I don't want to leave."

Her eyes close as she takes in a deep breath. "You have to," she whispers. "You have a life to get back to."

"A life without feeling like this isn't a life worth living," I admit. "I can't explain my feelings for you, Hanni. They came without any warning. I've closed the doors to feeling anything for anyone a long time ago, but with you—you somehow opened them back up, and I don't want to go back to what it was like before you."

The words spew out of me before I can stop myself, but I needed to say them. I know it's not what she wanted, but I can't leave without telling her how I feel first.

"I'm sorry, Minji…" She licks her lips and looks back up at me, the water turning cooler, but neither of us attempting to move out of the stream. "I can't tell you how happy I am that I met you this week. Meeting you, fighting with you, being near you, has changed everything for me, but I set the rules for a reason. My life is complicated. I can't promise you a future. I can hardly promise you a tomorrow."

I shake my head, trying to understand her words. "What does that mean, Hanni? I understand having a past. I understand feeling the pain and heartbreak, but I'm here. You're here. Why can't we at least try?"

She bows her head in silence and when her body begins to shiver, I turn the water off and pull her out of the shower with me. Tears are streaming down her cheeks, and I hate that I've pushed her to this point, but I want her to feel comfortable opening up to me.

I wrap a towel around her and walk us back to my room. I pull back the covers and motion for her to get in. I lay next to her, holding her, and letting the silence between us grow longer and longer.

"Hanni…" I whisper.

"Yes?"

"Will you open up to me? Please?" I tilt her chin up toward me, needing to see her face. "You can tell me anything."

She swallows, her eyes fixed on mine, but the words I want to hear never escape her mouth. "I'm sorry." She shakes her head and purses her lips. "I can't."

I exhale out of frustration and hold her tighter. I don't want to let her go…ever.

After we warm up, we get dressed and head down for breakfast. We keep the conversation light. Neither of us wanting to ruin the last moments we have together. Counting down to the last few hours I still have left, I suggest taking a walk together.

"Umm…" she hesitates, twirling her hair in between her fingers.

I raise a brow at her. "Don't worry. I'm not going to hold you hostage in my trunk or anything."

She chuckles. "Well, that makes me feel a lot better."

"It should. There's no way you'd fit in my trunk…in one piece anyway." I wink, making her giggle once more. "Your eyes light up every time you laugh, did you know that?" I tuck a strand of hair back around her ear. "I love it."

She smiles and looks down, almost as if she's trying to hide the blush that's crept up her neck. "Now go put some shoes on." I bring my arms around her and playfully smack her ass.

Hanni

As I tie the laces to my old running shoes, a shooting pain jolts up my leg, and I grip the end of the mattress tightly until it stops. The pain has been pretty manageable up until this point, but with the way Minji's been stretching and devouring my body, it's been agitating my leg more than usual. But without making her suspicious, I can't tell her I don't want to go. She'll ask me why, and I'll have to make up some excuse, which probably won't be very believable and she'll know I'm lying.