Chapter 6: Rolling in the Deep

Minji

Kissing Hanni was better than I even imagined it would be. The second I saw her long, lean legs peek out from those ridiculously-short shorts, I knew I wouldn't be getting much reading done.

When Lucas told me he was being dragged to one final dance class before the wedding, I knew it was my chance to get Hanni alone. I had intended on actually talking to her, but she clearly had other plans, which meant altering my own. Not that I entirely minded. She's refreshing to be around. Someone that takes notice of me without knowing who I am.

From the outside it looks as if I have it all together—the nice home, the good-paying job, apparently metrosexual looks. From the outside, I have nothing to complain about. It's the inside that wishes every day that I could've died along with Tris, instead of being left here without her.

I look over and grin as I see a sleeping Hanni on the other side of the couch. I wanted to do a lot more than just kiss her, but I wasn't going to give up this game we're playing just yet. It's the first time in years someone's showed me any real attention without knowing anything about me. Maybe it's screwed up, but I can't help craving the feeling of anticipation.

I grab the remote and click the television off. Hovering over Hanni, I contemplate on leaving her there or carrying her up to her room. She's laying in the fetal position, all snug against the pillow. I decide any excuse to touch her is a good enough reason to carry her to bed. I slowly push my hands underneath her body, sliding my arms under her shoulders and knees. I lift her up and soon she's cradled against my chest.

I carry her up the stairs and down the hall to her room, quietly kicking the door open. It can't even be past ten p.m., but Lucas and Elle aren't home yet, so I decide it's my job to tuck her in. I'm sure she'll slap me or bug out when she wakes up tomorrow morning, but it'll be worth it.

I hold her close as I pull back the covers, laying her gently on the bed. I hear a soft moan and immediately jerk back, hoping I haven't woken her. She nestles her head on the pillow, folding her hands underneath as her legs pull back up to her chest. I grab the rest of the blankets and pull them over her, making sure her body stays warm in her next-to-nothing pajamas.

I kneel down to her level and softly brush the hair off her face, trailing a finger down the side of face, savoring the soft skin against my rough fingertips. She nuzzles her face deeper into the pillow, whimpering in her sleep.

I kiss her lightly on the forehead, a habit of mine I apparently haven't broken, and stand up to leave.

"Don't leave." I spin around, making sure I heard it right. I take a step toward her, wondering if she's talking in her sleep. "Lay with me. Please."

I contemplate my options for a moment. Lay with her like she asks—while possibly enduring the biggest set of blue balls ever—or walk out pretending I didn't hear her.

I wake up to the sound of the shower, blinking my eyes open to the burning sun that is shining through the window. I quickly realize I'm not in the room I'm supposed to be. I slept with Hanni.

Actually slept. I cradled my body to hers and she relaxed completely into my chest, her back to me. It's something I haven't felt in years. Closeness.

I strip the covers back, realizing I'm only in boxers and sports bra. I grab my shirt and jeans and put them back on as I wait for the shower. I'm not sure why she asked me to stay last night, but there's something about her that brings lightness with her straightforward approach. Something I haven't had very much in my life.

The door to the bathroom swings open, startling me. I sit and wait on her bed because I'm not sure what else to do, but the moment she sees me, her eyes narrow as her face tenses. She looks beyond pissed.