Pumpkin spiced lover

Start from the beginning

Alba nodded, frowning her brows a little and the thinking process began again. It wasn't such a big deal, honestly. But she didn't want to have too much responsibilities if the whole thing went to disaster, because according to her planning : nothing was going as planned. Moreover, the event wasn't really the only thing on her mind anyways. Alba had work of her own : she was an archaeologist.

Luckily enough, the young woman was very independent in her researches. Lately, she was investigating Fablehaven's majestic medieval castle : Saint-Carlisle. As of a fact, she had always been very intrigued by her town's biggest gem and pride. Ever since she was little, she had always wondered how the monument defied history books. She dreamed of revealing its deepest secrets to the world.

Alba sprung quickly back to reality as Vivien started the engine of the truck.

"Come on loser, we're going 'hiring'" she winked.

Alba rolled her eyes and jumped inside the vehicle. She knew they wouldn't find someone available for the task this fast, but she was willing to give her friend's positive mindset a try.

As hours went by, the two friends resigned themselves to their quest. The day wasn't over yet for Alba, though.

"Could you give me a ride to Saint-Carlisle, please Viv ?"

"I sometimes still wonder how you haven't been swallowed by these old pieces of bricks" Vivien responded.

Alba hummed.

"Like, I swear this thing holds more spirits than what Stephen King's capable to imagine"

"Enough with the spirits, the only thing it holds is a soul and a history" Alba said in high pitched voice.

"Potato, pothato" responded her friend.

As they reached the top of the cliff, Alba got out of the car and waved to her partner. She drove off, leaving the read head on her own. Or so she thought.

Saint-Carlisle was a renowned castle. It wasn't such a mystery why so many tourists wanted to visit Fablehaven Glen during the fall. It held a particular atmosphere, of its own kind. The festival was probably the main course but Saint-Carlisle was always saved the best for last. As Alba got to her work, some footsteps were heard outside the castle's main entry. At first, the young woman thought the wind had slightly let itself in because of the cliff's altitude. But soon, she found herself wondering if she was the only one inside the abbey.

She let out a shriek as a tall figure stepped inside the main hall.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" said a man.

Alba sighed a little, coming back to her senses.

"No, it's okay"

"It seems like a strange place to work if I may" he said pointing at her laptop and books standing on a small shelf.

"I'm an archaeologist" she answered smiling.

"Oh, my bad, makes sense now"

"What's your name ?" Alba asked.

"Oh, I'm Leonard"

"Alba, nice to meet you. I've never seen you around town" she remarked.

The young man shrugged. He was a soon-to-be architect even if he initially studied dentistry as his parents wished for, but Leonard really liked to draw. And he couldn't bring himself to spend the rest of his life not doing what he was passionate about. He enrolled into an art engineering school and found his true calling.

"I'm actually here on a field trip with my class"

"Oh, so you're a teacher ? What subject do you cover ?" Alba wondered to her new acquaintance.

"I'm no teacher, I'm actually an art student."

Alba looked at him in a strange way. He did not look like a teenager at all but she didn't really find it polite to ask how old he was.

"Alright, well, there's plenty to draw here. I promise I won't stay in your way" she said.

"It's fine, you quite fit the background"

"I don't know if I'm willing to be compared to a relic but as you please"

Leonard grinned and started to draw as Alba continued to study the place around, searching for some details. Things that might help her dig deeper into Saint-Carlisle's secrets. As they were each immersed into their work, the pair continued to talk. A minute turned quickly into an hour.

"I imagine you'll only be here for the day" Alba assumed.

"Well, I must admit I came a little early before the rest of my class, I just arrived but we're supposed to visit Fablehaven's Autumnal Barn festival next week, our teacher's a local" the young man responded.

"Will you be drawing pumpkins all day ? Don't they all kind of look the same ?" Alba asked confused.

Leonard smiled.

"I won't be drawing pumpkins, to be honest, but I'm eager to see the whole thing. Our teacher hasn't shut it about Fablehaven Glen for weeks."

Alba thought about it. She didn't want to take advantage of the information the young man had just shared with her but it did look like an opportunity to release some steam from the whole festival planning. She scrunched her nose but soon asked :

"Do you like pie ?"

"Oh, I would kill for anything pumpkin spiced !" he said with a wide smile.