Chapter 8 - Worst-Case Scenario

Start from the beginning

Did our defeat of the Spot have anything to do with this?

If so, then does this have the same effect on every other Spider-Person?

Is every Spider-Person now stable in every other dimension?

This was the curiosity that had been itching his head until now; his suspicions were finally confirmed.

Right then, he was jolted by the sudden appearance of LYLA again.

"So..." she playfully bent over, leaning close to his face, "... have you satisfied your hunch?"

Miguel nodded, frowning at her.

"Good, because I have a new development."

He rolled his eyes. "Please, tell me it's not another canon theory."

"Not at all." She then opened a map in front of him. "While you were here doing your own thing... I decided to do my own thing as well?"

Miguel leaned forward. There was a single blinking dot on her dimensional map.

"What's this supposed to be?"

"Apparently, it's another anomaly."

Miguel turned to his hologram AI, stunned. "But I thought we were rid of them after—"

"Could be anything." LYLA interjected. "But it's worth a look, don't you think?"

Miguel was silent for a minute, and then he closed his eyes in frustration. "So where is it?"

"Depending on the time, it could already be in another dimension by the time you get there."

"Are you telling me that we could be dealing with another multiversal threat?" He was getting agitated now.

"I can't say." LYLA concluded.

Miguel cursed under his breath in Spanish, and then forced himself to stand, his mask back on.

"Can I tell the others where you've been now?" LYLA then asked, her hands on her hips.

"Not yet." Miguel put his watch back on. "In case it's just something mild, I don't feel like troubling the others."

And so, through his bright hexagonal portal, he exited Miles' dimension.

*****

Back in her own New York, Gwen had left band practice early to visit an old friend in Queens. Standing nervously on the porch, she rang the doorbell and waited, clutching her bag. In no time at all, the front door opened, and there was Mrs. May.

"Gwen!" cried the old lady, her mouth falling open in excitement, and hugged the girl, rubbing her back thoroughly. "My girl, how have you been?"

"I've been good, Mrs. May." She had forgotten how warm this lady's hugs used to be. "Thought I'd come by to check on you."

"Then why don't you come inside?" May stepped aside, ushering her in. "I have tea."

*****

Gwen sat the table, a steaming cup in her hands, as she looked around this dining room from the same chair she always used to sit in; it was almost exactly the same as when she last left it, which was forever ago, with all the picture frames of May, Ben, and Peter... a once happy family.

"I never thought I'd be sitting here again." said Gwen, taking a sip. "So, um... how have you been doing?" she asked, half-expecting a less-than-pleasant answer.

May, who was sitting next to her, nodded while facing the same pictures. "I've been doing a little better." She turned back to face Gwen. "It has been rather lonely, however."