The family |Bonus chapter|

Start from the beginning

I did it right.

"I know, I'm sorry, I promise I'm done for a little while." This time I'm the one to kiss her, but on the forehead.

"Don't worry, I know how important it is to you." Resting her head over my shoulder she looks at Carlos who hasn't moved his attention from the toy. "He really loves that thing, you are a master at buying toys for kids." I feel her smile against my body and I instantly smile too.

"What can I say, I was made to be a father and an uncle," I say proudly.

Many years ago I would have said I wasn't made to be a family man by any means, but now I know this is exactly what I was made for. This is all I have ever wanted.

"You really were." Mia's voice gets quieter all of a sudden. Her eyes still focused on little Carlos.

"Mia..." I know exactly what she is thinking.

"I'm sorry I'm not able to give you another kid." She whispers, her voice breaking a little.

When we started to get serious again she told me that she probably would never be able to have a kid again. And the way she said it was heartbreaking, not only because I knew she wanted to be a mother again but because for a second it almost looked as if she were scared I would stop wanting her because of that when in reality I couldn't want her more. She had already given me the best gift of my life, she had given me Julia, and that's all I needed. But for her, it wasn't that easy, and from time to time this topic resurfaced, especially when around Carlos.

And don't think we didn't try, we did, for years, we tried everything but it never happened, she never got pregnant again. It was difficult, she suffered a lot, we both did, but it also brought us closer. We thought about adoption but with my background, it wasn't easy.

"Don't you dare apologize, it's not your fault and I don't need another kid, Mia, I have everything I need right here, I have you, Julia, and everybody else. I feel more than complete." I move back a little, taking her face between my hands. "I love you and Julia more than anything, you two are all I need." I remind her the way I always do because even if I would love to have another kid I don't need it, not when I have her and my perfect little girl.

"I know, it's just that I wished I could do this for us, for Julia, give her a little sibling." A single tear runs through her cheek, one that I quickly sweep away.

"I think she looks pretty happy already with all her cousins don't you think?" I smile making her look in Julia's direction.

We can hear her laughing even from here, and her laugh still holds first place in the top three of my favorite sounds, Mia's is right after... and the third thing may or may not be Mia moaning my name in the bedroom.

"Yeah, she does." She smiles her gaze not moving away from our daughter who as if on cue looks back from the water towards her mother. The beautiful smile they share also on her face. She waves in our direction before moving her attention back to Vera and Miles.

Watching her grow up around family, around a good family is everything I could have asked for. Is everything I wanted to be able to give her and I made it. She is surrounded by people who love her, her cousins, her uncle, her aunt, and her grandfathers. She has everything a kid as amazing as she deserves.

"Hey, lovebirds! We brought food, Rick and Danielle are getting everything ready, can you tell the kids to go dry themselves!" Matteo shouts from the house's backyard.

Having the beach just behind your house is like a dream. If I could I would move here in a heartbeat, buy a house somewhere nearby, and leave New York but I can't do that, we just bought a house in the city, and Julia has a life there, so does Mia.