|40| The reunion

As soon as I read his letter I knew my plan of having the afternoon to myself and going back to Carlos' later in the day had vanished

As soon as I read his letter I knew my plan of having the afternoon to myself and going back to Carlos' later in the day had vanished. There was no way I could wait to find out what he has to say any longer and leaving my house in nothing more than some sweats a hoodie and a chocolate cake in hand seemed, for some reason, like the best idea to me.

Now, though, waiting in front of the door of his apartment dressed like a homeless person with my hair still wet and no makeup on doesn't seem so smart anymore. I have been standing here for a good few minutes convincing myself that this is the right thing to do and watching myself on the camera to try and fix my hair.

Why do I even care about how my hair looks like? I'm here to listen to his explanation not to have a dinner date... though I should have at least used some curl cream or taken a freaking hair tie. Oh my god, I need to focus.

Hugging the box with the chocolate cake (that with every second that goes by gets heavier) tighter against my body I free my right hand and put it up just a few inches away from the door.

I just have to knock or press the doorbell whatever works. It's simple... so simple that I can't even do it. Should I use my keys? I was living here less than two days ago it's not like I am breaking in. God, I should have made a plan beforehand this isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

"I can't do this," I whisper to myself so low it might actually just be the voice inside my head.

He isn't expecting me what if he isn't home? Maybe I should have sent him a message or call him. I should have done a lot of things... I'm never this messy, what's wrong with me? He is fucking up with my brain already and he isn't even present yet.

"Shut up, take the damn keys and open the door Mia it's not that difficult," I mutter looking down at my bag where I know the keys are.

Setting on that idea I kneel and leave the cake on the floor so I can search for my keys. Once I find them I breathe in a few times and use all the little confidence I have left to put the key inside the lock and turn it. The sound of the door unlocking appears as loud as thunder. And even if that might be an exaggeration I'm sure he heard it so if I don't want him to open the door and find me standing here like a stupid little girl that has no idea what she is doing I have to get inside now.

It's now or never. I can do this.

"Okay, it's done." I give myself the last push before opening the door as far as it goes and stepping inside.

The moment I look up I see him, standing tall and handsome with the help of his crutches just a few feet away from me, his confused yet hopeful gaze focused directly on my face. He doesn't speak, the tension between us growing thicker as he studies my face like trying to figure out if it's really me who is there.

"Hi." That's all I manage to say, finally breaking the deafening silence.