Chapter 3

Amelia

I stepped into the elevator pressing the button to my floor, with my mind showing me a glimpse of the past that I was too embarrassed to remember. Lucien had followed me but his presence didn't trouble me it was the memories I had been left with.

It was stupid for me to think about it because every time I remembered I was left with a lingering embarrassment. In the end, I was human after all needing love and care. I knew I would be having a hard time looking at Karl for the night, especially until the memories were washed away.

"All I need you is take this one last job for me. I promise to never ask for another one again ever," Lucien broke the silence with his false promise and I just closed my eyes in frustration. This was not how I planned my night to be at all. I didn't give him a reply just stepped out of the elevator when my floor came down.

I moved towards the suite room Karl and I were staying in and Lucien followed me. I wanted to leave him at the mercy of Karl but that would be absolutely evil of me and I was anything but evil. Flashing the card I opened the door and Lucein hovered over me.

"Lucien," I was going to tell him not to make a sound.

"I do not care!" Karl's angry voice left me stunned and I pushed the door open to see Karl pacing the floor with a phone in his hand. He was just wearing his pajama bottoms and the same shirt that he had most probably worn two days back. I had hardly seen him as he was resting in his room and it was in the same T-shirt.

"I just do not care, that's what I'm telling you," Karl told whoever it was on the phone frustratingly. I could sense his agitation. He was angry and frustrated right now in the moment.

"I didn't do anything," Lucien whispered and I could sense that he was uncomfortable more like scared. I was just worried about what disaster awaited us.

Closing the door, I approached Karl cautiously, sensing his frustration and agitation. Noticing my presence, he motioned for me to wait but one look behind me and his eyes were back looking at me angrily. I just shrugged my shoulders giving him a sorry smile.

"They were sent the design that they asked for. Just because they had second doubts doesn't mean that they can get the other designs that they had themselves rejected in the last moment," he spoke fiercely to whoever it was. He listened to whatever the other person was saying on the other line.

"This is highly unappreciated. We gave you everything and you rejected one of our pieces, even after that, I didn't say anything. I was respecting the business relationship we have had for too long but this is highly unethical of you." It looked like Karl wasn't going to calm down even a bit. The other person said something only to get Karl furious that he was going to throw the phone away but one look at us and he stopped. He was looking behind me and I turned around to see that it was Lucien who had prevented him from throwing the phone by motioning him to wait.

"Maybe I can help you?" Lucien stepped ahead slowly as if he was going to diffuse a ticking bomb and for the first time, I really appreciated his effort. Karl was nothing less than a ticking bomb. Lucien reached for the phone and Karl gave it to him looking at him skeptically.

"Hello, this is Lucien here," he waited for the other person on the line to reply and I saw him hearing him carefully. "Hmmn," he made the humming sound whenever he was listening to something with great interest. When he had given me my first chance he just stood straight as I told him about my pieces. He wasn't that interested but my boss had been able to persuade him to give me a chance.

"Okay give me a few minutes and we will get back to you," he said before ending the call.

"So you sent a consignment and the store rejected one of your pieces. Now they want the same piece back in exchange for another one, right?" he asked Karl and he just nodded to him in affirmation.