What Happened When I Was Out

On the two year anniversary of Thor and Jane's marriage just five months after the twins turned two Aquata was doing her rounds on care for Loki when she got to checking the connection of the vent at his tube she noticed that Loki was stirring and his eyes were starting to flutter like they were going to open, Aquata put her hand on Loki's forehead and moved his hair out of the way of his face and with that touch Loki's eyes fully opened and he looked around weakly seeing his wife next to him he smiled around the apparatus helping him breathe and he reached his hand out to touch Aquata's face and wipe her tears that were starting to roll down her cheek only for his arm to fall back to the bed, "You're awake, you're finally awake." Aquata managed to sob out Loki slowly nodded Aquata wrapped her arms around him and just hung on she didn't let go till Thor walked in with Strange and saw that Loki was hugging Aquata back in that moment Thor rushed over to see his brother's emerald eyes looking at him. Thor just broke down crying and fell to the floor to be at his brother's eye level "welcome back brother" Thor managed to say after hugging Loki for a good five minutes Strange came over and checked Loki's vitals to make sure he was stable, Strange stopped the vent for a minuet to check Loki's breathing and Loki started to struggle with moving air with the tube in the way but he was moving the air. "Well besides not being able to truly move air Loki seems to be on a path to recovery and his breathing might improve if we put him on oxygen and take him off the vent but that is your call" Strange reported, "Well, what do you think Loki, do you want the tube out?" Aquata asked Loki who just sat looking at his children playing over in the corner, then he looked at Aquata and nodded "let's take the tube out" Aquata told Strange. Strange walked over and turned off the vent, Aquata then disconnected the tube from the vent hose then Strange told Loki the whole sepal that he told him last time they extubated, and after a deep breath and exhale Loki was coughing and breathing on his own. Loki knew not to talk but he really wanted to ask something so he pulled Aquata close to him and whispered to her "Pet, how long was I out" "it has been two years love, and you know to rest your voice after having the vent hooked to you for that long" Aquata replied. Loki over the next few weeks stayed in bed having Aquata take care of him so that he wasn't focusing on anything but healing, Loki was still very weak and his color hadn't improved much in the time he was out but Aquata could at least tell Loki from the sheet under him, Strange said Loki was still so weak and hadn't improved much in two years was from his immune system getting such a shock from back to back comas and rounds of pneumonia, Aquata thought it was because Loki caught something new but Strange kept brushing her off.

Loki finally got to a point that with pillows supporting him he could sit up but he was still weak and on a full mask for oxygen, Aquata still had to feed him and he was only having liquids for the time being, Loki's voice eventually got to the point he didn't need a pad of paper to communicate. Aquata let the twins in to see their dad and they toddled over and climbed the bed to get to him Loki smiled "they've gotten so big love" Loki said as he put Atlantan on to his lap with help "well when a toddler turns two they tend to become big silly" Aquata replied brushing his hair out of his face, Loki was shocked he missed basically two years of the life of his children "Dada" Aquata heard come from a small voice she looked down at Celeste "Dada" Celeste said again reaching for Loki, "Yes I'm dada" Loki happily said with tears in his eyes. Aquata helped Loki pick up Celeste and set her on his lap Celeste played with her teddy bear and Loki just held his hand on her leg. "I missed a lot didn't I pet" Loki stated as Aquata went back to sit on the bed next to him "well when you sleep for two years a lot does happen but Hela Thor and I tried to record everything we could for you." Aquata replied, she then reached over and grabbed one of the twins' tablets and loaded a video to it and then propped it where Loki could see and watch.

The video started with a message from Thor "Hello brother, I know that you are resting and getting well to be able to come back to us, but Hela Aquata and I thought we would record these moments so you feel like you were there with us, just know we all love you and we hope your with us again soon." The video then switched to a view of the balcony when the twins were six months and the royals were on the balcony Thor holding one twin Aquata holding the other while the matradee announced the twins to the realm "Now presenting for the first time Prince Atlantan and Princess Celeste of Asgard" Thor and Aquata holding the twins up to the realm and the crowd cheering below, then the video switched to Christmas in the palace but the celebration was held in the room with Loki as he saw himself in the background of the video Aquata's voice rang out over the other din "well love it's the twins first Christmas I wish you were awake for this but Thor couldn't bring himself to not include you so we decided to do presents in our room so you were still here with us in some way," the camera then panned over to Loki laying on the bed with the vent running decorated with lights and a Santa hat "but hey I know that when you watch this you will see all the fun we had with you. Get well soon hun and come back to us, say hi to dada Atlantan" Atlantan came into the frame "Dada" Atlantan said followed by Celeste saying "dada" Loki teared up at seeing every one celebrating the twins first words and then it switched again to Aquata's and Loki's anniversary and the video was a hidden camera Hela put in the room so it was just Aquata caring for Loki and holding him mumbling things that couldn't be understood by the camera's mic Loki figured it was things like "happy anniversary love" and "come back to me please" it also caught Aquata crying onto Loki's chest then the video switched again to the twins' second birthday and Hela spoke "hey Loki the twins just turned two and we also celebrated the anniversary of the first time you woke up from the first coma Aquata is handling it well so far but she also has a lot of help but I figured you would want to see your twins have cake" the camera turned to the twins in highchairs smashing cake slices and smearing it all over each other Loki chuckled watching them. The video then switched to Aquata next to Loki alone, "Hello love, I just wanted to put this in at the end of the video as a one on one moment with you and me, it has been a crazy ride so far and it is probably not over yet but I am with you through it all I just miss you holding me and the twins miss playing with both parents, and Thor misses your sparing matches so, get well soon follow directions and keep up with your physical therapy or I will come for you and make you. I love you Loki and just remember I am always with you love" the video ended and Loki looked over at Aquata who was tearing up with all the memories. "Pet don't cry I'm here now and I don't plan on leaving you like that again any time soon." Loki said to her giving her some relief.