A Friend... Maybe?

Start from the beginning

And whether the stumps couldn't, or wouldn't, give up their 'master' was a mute point, because the fox barely gave them thirty seconds before shaking them off and smashing them to pieces too. I stood there, looking pretty stupid with my dagger and twig strewn silver hair, just panting and at a loss for what to do now. Was this fox going to tear me to pieces too? I had no doubt she could, even with my nifty little pin sticker.

After a solid minute and a half of her glaring down on the scattered shards of bark on the ground, and me watching her awkwardly, she turned those red eyes on me. 

"Ummm..." I said stiffly. I knew she could understand as I had heard her speak just a moment ago, but I had never held a conversation with a fox the size of a ford F-150 before. If anyone ever asked in the future, it was, indeed, very different talking to a fox person than a massive fox that may have been able to swallow me whole. "Hello?"

The fox narrowed her eyes, ears up and forward but her hackles now lowered. I was not one to know nonverbal communications with anyone, much less monsters with fox faces (Even after living with a village of fox faced people for half a year now), and so I had no clue if this meant I was safe or if I was about to have my face eaten off.

"What are you?" Was the answer I got as she looked me up and down, still glaring.

Well, that was a broad question. "Um, a human?"

"Tch. I can see that, little one," She said, before sitting down, her head now above mine which was mildly terrifying. "I can also see that you are a land god... I guess, I was asking what land god you were? I do not know of many."

Okay. Chatty, but suspicious. I could work with that! It was defiantly way better than angry and blood thirsty, and I was not opposed to answering the question either. "Um, well, I'm the land god of here. Uh, the Monster Nation of Aeros." I really needed to speak to the others about changing the name. Monsters and names were just such a pain really.

I had seen foxkin and foxie raise their eyebrows before, but it was even more amusing to see the movement on a creature that I should fear. Damn, I was getting used to dealing with weird creatures. "Is not Aeros the land got of the Monster Nation of Aeros?"

"Well, he was. Till about six months ago. I guess I sort of inherited the job?"

"Oh? So the dragon finally met his end then, did he? Good riddance." She said, flicking a leaf that fell off her ear. "I did not like him overly much. Rude and very full of himself..." then she looked at me skeptically however. "I can not imagen that he intentionally left a small human woman with power over his lands. Not that he cared about this place overly much, but I think its more the principle of the thing. Not big on humans, the old lizard." She looked me over once again, clearly not overly impressed with what she saw, she said: " And, no offence, but you do not seem strong enough to have defeated Aeros and taken the title from him."

I laughed nervously. "He was not happy, but he did seem to see the irony of it and was faintly amused. At least from what i gathered from the brief conversation I had with him before he left." It was a very strange conversation I was having right now. It was not lost on me that I probably should be desperately trying to get back to the kobold village and Lagdon, and not exchanging small talk with a massive fox in the middle of what was, supposedly, the most dangerous place within these borders. But this seemed to be about right given the turns my life had taken up to this point. Besides, what if I offended the fox and she decided to make a snack of me?

"So, how is it that you came to be the land god here?" 

"Would you believe that I really have no clue. I'm from another world... I think I died there, then I just woke up hear near one of Aeros' little shrines near the mountain. I have been kind of winging it since. From what I have been told by some of the monsters I have come to know since waking up here, they have never heard of an other-worlder arriving just to be a land god. But they also told me that they hardly knew much about the god either way."