Fifteen: A Wife's Betrayal

Samson grew up, strong and handsome, and the Lord was stirring in him. 

As young men will, when he came of age, his eyes caught the attention of a young Philistine woman. (The town of Timnah was only four miles across the valley from Samson's hometown. Apparently, the Philistines and Israelites moved freely back and forth, and not all Israelites opposed the Philistines. As old generations died off traditions died off as well.  The law of God that stated they weren't supposed to mix with the foreign countries had been looked over for years.) Samson was attracted to the young Philistine woman and he did not have concern for differences in religion, nor what his parents thought. All he knew was he wanted her! It was as simple as that in his mind. ( Was this the first sign of trouble? ) 

Samson, who was very accustomed to getting what he wanted told his mother and father, "I want the Philistine woman from Timnah, go get her as my wife."

His parents asked, "Isn't there a suitable woman among our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?" They were very aware and concerned of God's laws regarding this, they tried to convince Samson to change his mind.

But Samson said to his father, "I know she is the right one for me, go get her for me!" (His parents were upset about his choice.  What they didn't realize was that God already put this plan in place. God was setting up an occasion to confront the Philistines, for at this time they were still ruling over Israel.)

So, the family went to Timnah. As Samson and his parents approached the vineyards they drifted apart and traveled about in separate paths toward the town. As Samson traveled alone,  a lion suddenly came roaring toward him.  The Spirit of the Lord suddenly came upon Samson in a mighty power so that he was able to tear the lion apart with his bare hands. He had no idea the unimaginable strength was there until he used it. He didn't really understand how he had overpowered the Lion and managed to rip him apart, only that God gave him the strength. He didn't tell his parents what had happened. 

They went on down to visit the Philistine woman and he liked her very much. ( We can assume at this point they make it known to the girl's family that she was chosen to be Samson's wife. The Bible doesn't specify this, nor does it say how much time passes between this trip and the following trip when they were to get married.)

Some time later, when Samson and his parents were going back to Timnah in order for Samson to marry the woman, again they took slightly separate paths as they traveled, rejoining up and different times along the way. Samson arrived at the place where he had left the lion's carcass from the trip before. He looked and saw that in the carcass was a swarm of bees and some honey. Samson was not afraid of the bees, he simply reached down and scooped out the fresh honey with his bare hands and ate as he went along. When he rejoined his parents he gave them some. He didn't tell them where the honey came from. (The Bible doesn't say why he doesn't tell the parents about the lion or where the honey came from, but I believe it is said to make clear that they were not aware of their son's super strength and bravery.)

When they got to Timnah Samson prepared a seven day feast for his father-in-law in the company of his father and thirty other men, as was customary for bridegrooms. While enjoying the feast Samson said to them, "Let me tell you a riddle." If you can give me the answer within the seven days of the feast I will give you thirty linen garments and thirty sets of clothes. If you can't tell me the answer you must give me thirty linen garments and thirty sets of clothes."

When they agreed Samson said, "Out of the eater, something to eat; out of the strong, something sweet."

For three days they could not give the answer. On the fourth day the men were becoming frustrated and scared of having to pay the bet. So they approached Samson's wife and said, "Coax your husband into explaining the riddle for us or we will burn you and your father's household to death. Afterall did you invite us here so that he may rob us?"