"Shut up!" the king ordered her indignantly.

How dare that witch talk to him like that? How does she allow himself to dig into his head? How did Ciaran dare to bring her to Deira?

Prince Ciaran pulled Amaya behind him as if to hide her from his father's wrath.

"Amaya can be useful. King Damon will want her back. We can negotiate. We can turn their gods to our side." he said.

Prince Enzo laughed. "Do you really believe that nonsense?"

King Mael silenced him with a wave of his hand. "Say, Miss Amaya, do sacrifices to the gods really give your kingdom as much power as is said?"

"The gods are fickle and certainly not merciful," she replied.

"In Amorite, you may be chosen by the gods, but in reality, you are just an ordinary murderer," said the king.

"With Amaya, we have an advantage that we haven't had before." Prince Ciaran argued.

"Amaya. What a confidential addressment. You have obviously become close during your journey." said the king. "If you want her so much, you can keep her. She will become your wife. And as punishment for your disobedience of my orders, you are finished as the commander of the army. You will return to your palace in Hiraeth and be the prince you are."

The prince stopped breathing for a moment. Both he and Amaya stood stunned.

"Why should I be punished for his disobedience?" Amaya couldn't bite her tongue back.

"You, young lady, can be glad that you will not be burned at the stake for witchcraft and instead have been given the honor of becoming a member of the royal family of Deira," the king told her.

"But the wedding will take place in Hiraeth," said the prince.

"On the first day of autumn," said the king.

"Now leave!" ordered the king. "And give her some clothes from the maids. This is not Amorite. It is improper when a woman wears men's clothing."

Prince Ciaran brought Amaya a dress.

"I won't wear the dress." she sent him away.

"You can keep your clothes when we get to Hiraeth, but now we have to silence my father. So get dressed." the prince told her.

Amaya reluctantly took the dress he offered her. She looked intently at the richly decorated silk.

"Do the maids usually come around here dressed like this?" she raised her eyebrows in question.

"I stole them from my sister," he admitted. "We should be gone before he notices."

Prince Ciaran was waiting for Amaya in the courtyard. She came in the company of General Marcellus. He didn't want to leave her with the royal guards.

"You look like a queen in that dress," he flattered her.

"I could have been a queen, but it seems fate decided that I would become a princess," Amaya replied.

"I guess I'm not the worst choice," said Ciaran, helping Amaya into the carriage. She was uncomfortable in the huge skirt. "Would you rather end up with a king three times your age?"

Amaya smiled involuntarily. "King Damon could be my father," she said.

"He could be your grandfather," said Ciaran.

"Do you know that I was originally supposed to marry the king's only son, Prince Tristan ?" she looked at the prince.

Ciaran looked at her inquisitively. She was looking out the window at the landscape flashing by behind it. Green meadows dotted with colorful flowers. She looked lost in the dreams.