Chapter 57: The midnight heist

Start from the beginning

"But for what reason?"

A gust of wind swept through the graveyard, rustling the leaves of ancient trees and sending a shiver down my spine. It carried a chill that cut through the warmth of the night, a reminder of nature's unpredictable power.

"To take control of your gift, my diary keeper. They have to eliminate you. That's why they killed Hazel and me, but they couldn't seize the gift because it scattered into the air and got lost until it found its way to you."

"But what is my unique talent?"

The wind whispered secrets of the past, carrying with it the voices of countless souls who had found their rest in this hallowed ground. There was an eerie beauty to the moment, as if the forces of nature themselves paid homage to our spectral reunion.

"You have my diary - a small copy of my consciousness. Without fully understanding it, I infused a fragment of my soul, my mind, into this journal. And your gift lies in the fact that you can read it. Each current diary keeper can decrypt a portion of the consciousness of the previous diary keeper. This consciousness is embedded in certain objects, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a diary. There can only be one person in the world with this gift at a time. When you pass away, a new diary keeper will be born eventually."

"So when the diary communicates with me, it essentially speaks to me on your behalf?"

"Not quite. The diary is indeed a copy of my consciousness, but I'm not the one dictating its responses. It retrieves all its phrases from my subconscious. That means, things that I don't fully understand myself. It searches for answers in my mind, searches for something I can't comprehend."

Within the depths of my soul, I find myself grappling with profound uncertainty about the nature of my magical gift. It is a rare and exquisite treasure that sets me apart from the mundane world, a gift that weaves an intricate tapestry of uniqueness around my being.

It's like a double-edged sword. On one hand, I'm unique, and I have this gift that sets me apart from the crowd. It's something special, no doubt.

But then there's the other side of the coin. Dark forces, like Grace and Harper, are keenly interested in me because of this talent. It's like I've got a target on my back, and I can't escape it. So, I'm left wondering if this gift is a blessing or a curse.

"And there's one more thing," Mia added with a mysterious smile, "I also studied at Hazelford High."

And she slowly disappeared.

***
First of all, I shared everything with my friends. My idea was to steal the Spectral Emitter together with Kaira and Caroline. Kaira mentioned that Grace keeps this device in her private residence, a place she doesn't allow anyone into except for Harper. Getting in there is highly dangerous because the house is teeming with shadows. This led us to a heated discussion.

"Liandra, you are absolutely crazy," Caroline looked shocked. "I won't go stealing anything."

"But it's for a good cause," Kaira tried to persuade her.

"And what if we end up dead? Would that be for a good cause too?" her voice raised to a shout.

"Why jump to death so quickly? Can't we just be considered missing without a trace for a while?" My attempt at sarcasm fell flat; the girls didn't even crack a smile.

"Liandra, I'm talking about serious things!" Caroline couldn't hold back.

"I'm talking about serious things too. Aren't I?"

This time, she didn't reply - Caroline was too well-mannered to break the law. But after some convincing, she finally agreed to join me and Kaira in our mission. And don't even ask how we convinced her.