Tʜᴇ Lᴜᴄᴋʏ Cᴏᴍᴘᴀss

Start from the beginning

"Yeah."

"Did you get a good description of them ? What did they look like ?"

"Anything would be helpful." Kie says

"Anything we can bring to a police report ?"

"Yeah."

It's silent as JJ looks off outside. He then turns to Pope, "Burly."

"Burly ?" Pope repeats

"Yeah. You know, like..."

"That's not very helpful." Estrella sighs

"Okay, well, no, like the type of guy at my dad's garage. I mean, you guys know he made cargo hides for drug smugglers."

"Yeah. Yes. No, we know." Kie shakes her head

"I can tell you with full confidence, these boys, these killers..." He says going back to the wall and taking a hit of his vape. "They're square groupers."

"They're square groupers." Pope says, "Like narco square grouper ? Like Pablo Escobar square grouper ?"

"Yeah, man."

"You guys, not everything is a kingpin movie." Kie says

"What does this square grouper look like ? Specifically ? If we're throwing it out there ?" Pope says

"You weren't there." JJ says

"You don't know what to look for." Pope snaps

"Dude !" JJ yells, "I wasn't taking little mental Polaroids the entire time, man. I was under duress, okay ?" He breathes

Estrella runs her hand through her hair as she sits back on the couch.

"But I can tell you..." JJ takes a deep breath, "I can tell you by the way that Ms. Lana was screaming... that these guys are serious, serious hombres, man. It's a heavy vibe right now, okay ? I'm not liking this very much."

"Okay, why would they want the compass ?" Kie frowns

"It's a piece of shit. You couldn't pawn it off for five bucks if you wanted to. No offense, John B. I know it's in your family..." Pope says

"The office." John B looks up

"What ?"

"My dad. My dad's office." He says walking into his house. Everyone follows after him, "He always kept the office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his Royal Merchant research. We used to laugh at him like he was gonna find it."

They all stand in front of the door as John B pulls his keys out, "But now that he's gone, I've just kinda... I just left it as he kept it."

"Yeah, for when he gets back." Kie tries. She looks over at the others who don't agree with her words at all.

"Yeah."

"I've slept over here like 600 times, and I've never seen this door opened." Pope says as they walk in

"Mm." Kie mutters as they look around. John B takes a board off of the wall and sets it down for everyone to see.

"Here, look. This is the original owner, right here." He says as they gather around it.

"Okay. Robert Q. Routledge, 1880 to 1920." Estrella says, "There's the lucky compass, right there." She points

"Actually, um... he was shot after he bought it." John B mutters. Her brows raise as she blinks rapidly.

"Then the compass was shipped back to Henry. He was killed in a crop-dusting accident when he had the compass." He says, "After he died, the compass was given to Stephen. Stephen had the compass with him when he died in Vietnam."