The question tripped Evie up. "I-I don't know. I didn't want you to be mad, I guess. And I don't want you to worry." She looked down at the ground, waiting for his response. "I'm sorry."

"Come here." When Evie came nearer, he put a reassuring hand on her arm. "Listen to me. Don't fall back into this. If you thought Nikki was bad back then, you couldn't last a day with him now. Trust me, Eves. If you do this, you're only gonna get hurt."

Evie thought about arguing back, telling him that Nikki had changed, and they talked out their differences, and blah blah blah. But instead, she just nodded her head and said two words: "I know."

After Mick told her to be careful and start using her brain again, she walked into the hallway to find it empty. So everything he said is true, she thought. Her and Nikki had been 'dating' for about half an hour and he already got bored and abandoned her. But as she walked towards the strange noise at the end of the hallway, she realized that Nikki had gotten bored, but he didn't leave her. He was playing with the ice machine, trying to see how high he could pile the ice.

"Everything all right?" Nikki asked when he saw her. "You were in there for a while."

Evie took a deep breath. "Yeah." She considered leaving it at that, but that felt dishonest. "He knows."

"Who? Mick?"

"Yes."

Nikki looked down at his ice pile, contemplating. "Is he mad?"

"No. At least, I don't think so. But he isn't happy, either. He...he told me you're gonna hurt me."

Nikki put his hand on her shoulder. "Yeah, probably. But it won't be intentional. I promise."

Evie smiled. "We can deal with that later. You still wanna read my paper?"

Evie and Diana's room was empty when the couple got there.

"Which bed is ours?" Nikki asked.

Evie's heart fluttered as she pointed to the one on the left side of the room.

Nikki plopped down dramatically on the bed. Evie handed him her notebook and headed to the bathroom before Nikki got the chance to pull her down with him.

When Evie came out, her hair a bit more tamed, her eyelashes blackened by a tinge of mascara, and a cup of water in her hand, she sat down on the chair in the corner of the room. Nikki was laying down, actually reading her paper. Contrary to popular belief, just because he was a rockstar didn't mean he was a dumbass. He could appreciate a good political and social analysis, and as an artist may even be more sensitive to it than the average person. It also helped that the realization of just how smart Evie was turned him on.

Evie watched him, for the first time on this tour having no shame in the attraction she was feeling towards him. He looked so good, laying with one leg extended and the other bent, the prominent veins of his rough hands holding her notebook, and his perfect jawline moving ever so slightly when he read something that impressed him. She felt almost like a little kid who was caught staring when Nikki set the papers down on his chest and looked at her.

"Why are you all the way over there?" He asked with a smirk.

She shrugged. "I like the view from this angle."

Nikki made a 'come hither' motion with his fingers, and how could Evie not comply? Nikki patted the space on the bed next to him and Evie sat down, her legs off to the side and her hand next to Nikki's shoulder, propping her up.

Nikki looked up at her. "You wrote all this," he asked, gesturing to the notebook in his hand.

Evie was too nervous to do anything other than nod.

"That's really fuckin hot," Nikki said, making her giggle. "How long did it take you?" He reached up and gently brushed some of her hair behind her ear, listening to Evie's nervous explanation of the stages of research while he reminded himself of the light freckles on her cheeks and nose and the ring of brown around the pupils of her hazel eyes. A new woman every night lets you experience it all and keeps things interesting. But in the end, humans crave familiarity.

When Evie fell silent, they both just looked at each other, uncertain of what to do next. Finally, Nikki spoke up: "There's no way you haven't been laid in two years."

"What's that supposed to mean," Evie laughed.

"You're so beautiful...You're trying to tell me nobody's tried anything?"

"They have," she shrugged. "I'm just...selective."

Nikki smiled at her in a way that made her go crazy. She considered getting up so that her desire didn't make her do something she wasn't ready for. But she stayed put.

Nikki said something about her needing to practice, but Evie didn't hear it. Before she knew it, she was letting herself fall onto her back, wrapping her arms around Nikki's neck as he kissed her and moved his hand up her shirt.

She lost track of time. This is what she had been yearning for for so long: Nikki holding her gently, kissing her like she was the only girl in the world. Like she was the only girl in his world. Despite the passage of so much time, he still made her feel so safe and at home.

They may have been making out for thirty seconds or ten minutes by the time Nikki's mouth moved to her collarbone. Evie was trying to figure out if she was ready to go where Nikki wanted to take her. Hardly a day on this tour had gone by where she didn't fantasize about him, and what he was doing felt incredible, but their relationship was so new. Even if they were trying to pick up where they had left off two years ago (which both of them had independently decided to do), there were still instabilities and issues to be sorted out before they became too intimate, be it physically or emotionally. Luckily, the decision was made for her.

Nikki stopped when Evie gasped and grabbed his arm. He followed her gaze to the doorway of the hotel room, where a blonde girl was standing, a yellow shopping bag in her hand.

Evie apologized to Nikki with her eyes and then guided him off of her.

"I'm sorry," Diana said with a smile. "I didn't mean to...interrupt."

Evie sighed and smiled back. Nikki thought about making a 'wanna join us?' joke, but decided that would not be welcomed. Yet. Instead, he stood up.

"Well, I should probably be on my way." He said it while looking at Evie, but something about the way he said it made it clear he was speaking to Diana. Evie's heart fluttered when she realized what that meant: he spoke to her in a way he didn't speak to others.

Diana didn't say anything, only moved out of the way when Nikki walked past her towards the door. When he was safely out of earshot, her eyes widened and she rushed over to the bed.

"You're dating again?!" She exclaimed.

Evie smiled and shrugged.

"Well," Diana prompted when Evie didn't say anything. "Are you gonna tell me how that happened, or am I gonna have to waterboard it out of you?"

"It's a long story...First, tell me what that's about," Evie said, pointing to the shopping bag in Diana's hand.

"This? It's just some stuff Vince got me. You know, some perfume and jewelry, that's all...You want a haul?"