Spark in the Dark

The week after the date Nikki and Evie would forever refer to as their anniversary, the guys finished recording Too Fast For Love

The week after the date Nikki and Evie would forever refer to as their anniversary, the guys finished recording Too Fast For Love. There was cause to celebrate, but, respecting the wishes of Mick and Nikki, the guys settled on an afternoon of TV, beer, and Chinese food at Mick's place. They would save the partying for the apartment.

To save money, they decided to send one of the guys off to pick up the food instead of having it delivered. Nikki volunteered, and, for some reason, Tommy seemed really adamant to go with him.

Nikki found out why in the car.

"So," Tommy said. "You remember the party last weekend?"

Nikki nodded. Whether he wanted to remember the party or not depended on his mood and the presence of the girl who had embarrassed him in front of his friends and then helped him in private. But he remembered it, nonetheless.

"What was going on between you and Evie? I mean, first you told that guy to leave her alone, and then you kissed her on the couch."

"What?" Nikki regretted being so open with her at the party, not because he was embarrassed of her (she was probably one of the prettiest girls at the party), but because he didn't want the news to make its way back to Mick. "I'm not allowed to keep guys from creeping on our buddy's daughter?"

"I'm talking more about the way you practically made out with her on the couch."

"What are you asking, Tommy?"

"Are you guys dating?" Tommy had also noticed that Nikki stopped going to the apartment. Every time he called the bassist to ask him to come over and meet some girls, he made up some excuse about being sick or having a headache or whatever else he managed to think of.

Nikki was silent for a moment, both because he didn't know how much he wanted to tell Tommy, and because he wasn't sure the right answer to his question.

"No," he finally said. "We might've kissed a few times, but it's not that serious."

Tommy saw them kiss, but, for some reason, he found himself shocked by this. "Really? Does Mick know?"

"No, and he's not going to find out."

Nikki made it clear that he was done with the conversation by turning the radio up higher.

Though Nikki was still not sure if they were dating, it was sure as hell more serious than he made it seem to Tommy. They managed to keep their hands to themselves when Mick was in the house, but after he left, the fun began.

Evie, the queen of mixed signals, longed for Nikki's touch and wasn't shy about letting him know that. She was the one who would crawl onto his lap during a movie and initiate the long, passionate makeout sessions. She would grind against him and tell him how attractive he was, how much she couldn't wait to fuck him. But the second his hand wandered under her shirt or in between her thighs, she would jump and stop it from moving any further, whispering that she wasn't ready.