CHAPTER FIVE

Exams were gone, walking down the plain around the biggest auditorium in my school, Tunji ran towards me, I ran from the road and asked if he was being pursued by a wild ghost, he neglected my question and said panting

"Bayo I heard results are out let us go and check."

I knew I had done well in the exams and I wasn't expecting any grade other than A's in my result. I had worked really hard for it. Likewise for this second semester, we both had completed the course contents in just one month after resumption.

We got to the department and I checked the result.

"What! We failed AGL 107,"Tunji shouted from the extreme end of the board.I ran up to him to see what he was trying to say because I am not satisfied with what I heard,

"It's not possible for us to fail that course, its practical and we did it successfully," I flared up with total confidence,

He pointed at the grades in front of our matriculation numbers, because I was looking away from the board even though I was beside it and behold 35F and 32F was clearly written there. We failed the course we spent money, time, and energy on. We were both devastated, we summoned courage and check others but to our utmost surprise some are far below expectation. The highest grade I had was C, Tunji was lucky to have an A, in the course I did not register due to the fees issue then.

"We have to see the lecturer," I said to Tunji.

"Yes, you are right let us go there now."

*****

"Good morning sir," we chorused as we entered the office since his door was widely opened.

"Yes, good morning young men. How may I be of help?" he replied in a casual voice not all that sonorous but deep.

"Sir, we just checked our result and found out we failed AGL107,"Tunji said to him.

"Oh that's pathetic, so why have you come? Before anything I want you to know that I am a disciplined type and I detest taking bribe from students," he said repositioning himself on the chair.

"We are not here to bribe you sir, we are just surprised at how we managed to fail the course," I calmly replied.

"Oh really, you think I failed you purposely? Why will I do that? What group did you fall to?"

"Group 4 sir,"

"Group 4, group 4, ooh yes", he eventually said opening a file that I assume was our group file since we reared pigs and it was boldly written on it. "Well it's so unfortunate that I gave you the grade you deserve. When I went for supervision, I noticed you did not feed the pigs; they were not properly taken care of as the place smelled like a dung hill and to worsen it two even died. Do you expect me to pass you for the job you didn't do?" He asked closing the file which made a flapping sound that disturbs the air.

It was true that two of the pigs died but it wasn't really due to malnutrition. We spent a lot of money feeding them and we all withdrew when it was no longer bearable and fed them with the little we can get. More so we take turns in cleaning the pigs and the place in general, it could be that when Dr Akinwumi went for his supervision the person to clean the place was absent, which then led to failure for all of us. We will not only retake the course next year but also spend time, money, and stress.

"So is there any other thing I can help you guys with?" his voice brought me out of my thoughts

"Please sir, we don't know if there is any way you can help us out."Tunji said pleadingly,

"I don't think so, oh there is something I can actually do and that's adding your names to group with easier project next year, what about that?"He said grinning.