Fáfnir's revenge - Part 1 - Ragnarssons x Reader

"Dragon!" The cry came. The shout one that no one in Kattegat would ever believe that they would hear. The sounds of screaming and shouting filling the air, as more and more people made their way out of their cabins. The second cry, making the sons of Ragnar emerge from the Great Hall. Their eyes widening, as there, flying towards them was a great scaled beast. Men firing off arrow after arrow, as the winged serpent flew overhead. The projectiles bouncing off its deep red scales, as the tips of its wings caught the rooftops, sending them crashing to the ground. More screams and sobs heard from the women and children, as the creature made another pass over the town. The beast opening its mouth and letting fire fill the air. Buildings instantly bursting into flames just from the sheer heat.

The princes' looked at one another; they had trained for many things, between them met many a foe. But this..........no amount of training could prepare you for this. No amount of shooting targets in the woods and fighting between themselves had taught them how to face this. Yet face it they must. The others would look to them. They were the sons of Ragnar; the leaders of their people, so they would have to somehow work out how to kill a dragon. They would have to hope that just like their maternal grandfather, they would be able to best the winged, fire breathing terror.

Quickly the princes' retrieved their weapons, none of them sure how they would help, as they watched more and more men take up their bows and fire arrows at the scaled scourge, only to have them prove useless yet again. Yet take the weapons, they would. Ubbe, Hvitserk, Sigurd and Ivar looking on as the dragon flew towards the fjord. Another blast of fire setting the dock aflame. The four men making their way towards the shoreline; staring open mouthed, as the dragon flew over the expanse of water, suddenly heading further up into the sky, before beginning to spin; its out spread wings pulling the water up with them, until the salty liquid surrounded the beast. A horrifying roar filling the air, before.............nothing. The water falling back to the ground as rain, as the sky appeared empty once more.

Had they been seeing things.............? No...........if they had, then everyone else had too. That, and the still burning buildings, the still burning docks and broken cabins proved that all this had been very real. But how...........? How...........? And why the dragon had come to Kattegat, where it had come from, and whether it would be back, were other things all together.

"Look..........!" A voice called out; the sons of Ragnar looking over to where the man was pointing. This day just getting stranger, as out through the flames of the burning dock, appeared a woman clothed in a deep red gown and cloak; her hair falling down over her shoulders and down to the floor. The fire kissing her skin, yet not burning it, as she moved closer to the shocked and scared crowd.

"I want the line of the dragon slayer brought to me!" She called out. The ire in her voice evident to all, as she slowly made her way ever closer to those that had amassed on the shoreline. The princes' looking at one another, not sure who this woman was, never mind why she would be demanding such things.

"Who are you?" Ivar shouted back at her, as he moved forward on his crutch. The anger in his eyes, burning as brightly as that in the strange woman's.

"Did I give you permission to speak, Midgardian? I want the line of the Dragon slayer brought to me, before I burn the rest of your homes, your ships and lands to cinders................" The woman growled in reply. Her words only causing more confusion. A murmur going around the crowd, as they looked to the sons of Ragnar.

All present knew what she was talking about, who she was talking about. That the mysterious woman was speaking of the line of Sigurd the Dragon slayer and Brynhildr; the line of the Götaland princess, the sons of Ragnar. Ubbe, Hvitserk, Sigurd and Ivar looking at one another, before turning their gaze to the people of Kattegat. Women, wives, mothers, shielding one another, holding their trembling, crying, soot covered children tightly. Men, husbands, fathers, ready to fight as always to protect what and who were theirs. To face this foe that had destroyed their homes, hurt countless people. Yet this foe was not a rival group, another kingdom; no, this was a creature from another realm. A creature that should not be there. A beast that had proved impervious to their weapons. Ubbe knowing what he must do, the oldest son of Aslaug taking a bold step forward; Hvitserk, Sigurd and Ivar looking at one another for a moment before joining their elder brother. Ubbe taking a deep breath, before he spoke to the woman who was becoming more and more impatient.

"I............we, are the sons of Aslaug, the daughter of Sigurd the Dragon slayer........Ubbe announced. The oldest boy doing his best not to stagger backwards, as the woman seemed to fly at speed towards them; only stopping as she came face to face with him.

"I should have known........you stink of that coward............."

"Our grandfather was no coward..........." Ivar protested angrily, drawing his blade and pointing it at the woman. His own anger growing as the woman laughed mocking at him.

"Your weapons do not scare me. And your grandfather was a coward, hiding in a pit so that he could stab Fáfnir in the heart; not man enough to face a dragon in a fair fight..............."

"Who are you.......what is it you want........why are you here......?" Ubbe asked quietly. Allowing the questions that all the brother's wanted to ask, to come spilling from his lips.

"Oh, the answers to all your questions are simple........I am (Y/n), a child of Fáfnir; and I want you........all of you. As for why I am here, that is the simplest of all............I am here for revenge..............."