Chapter 8

"She's not there," Kyle said, pulling his horse to a stop next to the Taylor's wagon again. "Miss Willard said that she came straight back after borrowing a book and she hasn't seen her since,"

"Where else could she be?" Mrs. Taylor asked.

"Could we have left her back by the spring and not noticed?" her father asked.

"Oh dear!" her mother gasped. "You don't think-,"

"I'll have to ride back and check."

"No, you keep on going. There's a river up ahead. We'll camp next to it tonight and cross it in the morning. I'll ride back and look for her. If I'm not back by morning, you can start crossing and wait for me on the other side, understand?"

Mr. Taylor nodded.

His horse kicked up dust as he spun around and rode off in the direction they had just come from.

The sun was beginning to set and Sarah knew it was going to start getting dark soon. She still couldn't see the wagons and once she lost the light she would have to stop for the night or end up lost. Her mind began to wander as she considered what would happen if no one missed her until morning. They may have no idea where to start looking. She might be lost forever.

The sound of thunder in the distance was about all she could handle. The last thing she needed right then was a thunderstorm out in the middle of the prairie, where she had absolutely no shelter. She began to cry. "Lord, I know you say you'll never give us more than we can take, but-," she looked up, only to realize that there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Confused, she looked around, feeling relief wash over her when she saw a rider approaching.

Kyle pulled up, dropping down out of the saddle before his horse had even completely stopped. He walked up to Sarah and pulled her into his arms, holding her tight for a long time as she broke down in tears. "I'm sorry we left you," he whispered. "Your parents thought you were still with Jill."

"I don't think I could have walked another step," she murmured, leaning her forehead against his chest.

He laughed softly. "You don't have to," he said. "But I'm surprised you made it as far as you did." He was still holding her, and rested his chin on her head.

"How much farther is it?"

"About an hour and a half." He said. He let go of her, but took her by the hand and led her over to his horse. Lifting her up into the saddle, he climbed up behind her and turned the horse back towards the wagons.

It took longer than he expected, riding back in the dark, but they finally reached the wagons. It seemed like right as Mr. Walker lifted her down from the horse, her mother was there hugging her, followed by her father and several other people who had finally heard the news of her being left behind. By the time everything calmed down, Sarah couldn't wait to get away from everyone and have a moment of peace and quiet. She slipped between the two nearest wagons and let out a sigh of relief as she sat in the grass outside the circle.

"I feel as though you don't listen to me," Mr. Walker said, finding her there a while later.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked.

"I've told you twice now that it's safer inside the circle, and yet I still find you out here, by yourself."

"I believe, you." She said. "Honestly, I do. It's just it seems like this is the only place where I can hear myself think."

"And what, may I ask, are you thinking about that you need so much quiet?"

"I don't even know anymore." She said softly. "Ma's been overreacting to everything since you brought me back. Even Pa's trying to find things to do so he doesn't have to be around her."