Chapter 3

The next evening, the wagons pulled into their usual circle a bit earlier than usual. There was water nearby and Mr. Walker wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to fill their water barrels, water their animals and do any washing that they needed. The next week would be long and very dry, with only one small watering hole until they reached the next river.

Jill was already at the creek when Sarah walked up carrying both buckets. "Sarah," she said dramatically. "You should meet me back here when everyone is done getting their water and we shall soak our sore feet in the crystal clear water!"

Sarah laughed. "It does sound good, doesn't it?"

"I will if you will," Jill said. "My feet hurt so bad after walking all day today."

"Mine too." Sarah replied, dipping one bucket into the water at a time to fill them. "But how are we going to know for sure everyone's done?"

"We could always wander downstream a bit. This is the easiest place to fill buckets, but I'm sure there are plenty of nice places to wade around down there."

"I'll make sure it's okay with Pa when I get back with these," Sarah said, looking down at her full buckets. "I'll let you know on my next trip down, because I'll be making about twenty trips."

"Me too," Jill grinned.

Careful not to slosh the water out of the buckets, Sarah walked back to the wagon and poured the water into the large barrel on the back. "Pa, would it be alright if Jill and I explore the creek a bit, after I fill the water barrel?"

"So long as you don't go too far. And be careful." He said.

It was nearly an hour before the girls finished and by then supper was ready. They agreed to meet up at the water once they'd eaten.

"Could you have eaten any faster?" Sarah asked with a laugh when she found Jill lying on her back in the grass beside the water when she returned.

"Could you have eaten any slower?"

"Are we going upstream or downstream?"

"Downstream. I went upstream a little ways, just along the bank and I didn't see any place to cross. It widens out here and gets a little shallower as you go down."

Sarah took a quick look around to make sure no one was around and then followed Jill downstream until they came to a small grassy area next to a wide, but shallow part of the creek where they could walk across.

Both girls sat in the grass and removed their shoes and stockings. Sarah made sure to tuck her stockings inside her shoes while Jill was already on her feet and wading out into the cold water.

Pulling her heavy skirts up around her knees, Sarah stepped out into the water, barely squelching a shriek as the cold water swirled around her ankles. "It's so cold!"

"I know. Doesn't it feel good?" Jill asked.

"It's like ice!"

"Oh, stop complaining. By the time we're done, your feet won't hurt anymore."

"I know," Sarah laughed. "I'm just hoping I don't fall in!"

"You're not going to fall in." Jill stood up straight to look at her. She'd been staring down into the water, looking at a school of tiny fish. "Come here and look at these!"

Sarah wandered over and took a look, but after a few moments continued on upstream. She came to a large boulder, sitting in the center of the creek and she wondered how it got there. In the water below it, the soft current created a small eddy and she spotted a large salamander resting there. She was bent over, watching it, unsure if it was safe to touch or not, when she heard something.