Chapter 1

"It won't be as bad as you think," Jill said, guiding her horse over next to where her friend stood, staring down from the top of Shadow Hill at the seemingly endless line of covered wagons as they made their way towards town.

"You're just saying that because you want to move west." Sarah sighed. "I was perfectly happy here."

"Yeah, but just think about all the new places we'll be able to explore together on the way."

"Pa says I have to ride in the wagon with Ma."

"What?!"

"He said he doesn't want me getting underfoot and you know how clumsy I can be. He thinks I'll just get into trouble the entire way there."

Jill laughed. "Well, you are a bit clumsy. But it's not as if you mean to do it. Do you think he'll let you ride at all......maybe once we're all the way out of town?"

"I hope so, or I know I'll die of boredom. I couldn't possibly pack enough books to keep me entertained for five months."

"Maybe not, but I'm sure your Pa will let you ride some. He's probably just a bit nervous is all,"

"I hope so." Sarah climbed back into the saddle and they rode back to town. "I guess I'll see you in the morning," she said when they reached Jill's farm.

"Bright and early," Jill waved as she rode away down the long driveway to her house and Sarah continued down the road.

"Where have you been?" her mother was already coming down the front porch steps as she rode up. "We're leaving first thing in the morning and you're out riding around town? Hurry up and get in here! You need to pack your things and help your pa load it into the wagon."

"I've already packed, Ma. My chest is at the top of the stairs."

"Well, then go help your father with whatever he's doing out in the barn."

Sarah dropped down out of the saddle and led the horse to the barn. Her father was inside, separating the small amount of items they would be able to take with them from the equipment he had sold along with the farm.

"Will we be able to replace those when we get there?" Sarah asked, noticing that the plow was with the rest of the items that were staying.

"Eventually," he said. "When they finish the railroad they'll be able to ship them to us."

"Ma said to help you."

"It's alright, Sarah. I've got this handled. I thought you were riding with Jill?"

"I was, but she said she still had a few things to pack. Ma's getting nervous, isn't she?"

"Why do you think I'm out here?" he chuckled.

"Pa, you're not going to make me sit in the wagon with her for the entire time, are you?"

"We'll see," he shrugged. "I've heard that the wagon master is a hard-nosed, no nonsense kind of man and I don't want you getting into trouble. We'll see how things are going in a couple of days and I'll let you know then."

She nodded. "Yes, Pa."

It was just before dawn the next morning when Sarah climbed from her bed, donned the same dress she had been wearing the day before and came downstairs for breakfast. Her mother had made a pot of oatmeal and she sat, quietly eating until her pa came inside and told them it was time to go.

She sat quietly on the seat of the wagon, next to her mother while her father rode one of the horses. It would take less than a half hour to reach the rest of the wagons, camped for the night just outside of town. Sarah hoped that their wagon would be close to Jill's for at least if they were close, she would have someone to talk to.