Chapter 5

"Well, come on." She said with a sigh. "I'd best get back and have Ma make a poultice or you're likely to swell up and then we'll all be in trouble."

"Glad to know that you're only worried about me for the safety of the entire wagon train." He said, getting to his feet and following after her.

"Well, Miss Lennon would likely be heartbroken if anything were to happen to you."

"That's not funny."

"Oh, you don't think so?" she turned to look over his shoulder.

"I can tell that you do."

"Well, it is rather entertaining watching her try to convince you to like her."

He shook his head. "Is that why you're always giving me the cold shoulder? Because you think I like Miss Lennon?"

"I haven't ever given you the cold shoulder." She said.

"Oh, haven't you?"

"You didn't exactly give the best first impression," she replied.

"Okay, you're probably right." He admitted. "But I've already apologized for that."

"What? You have not!" she stopped suddenly and turned around.

"Of course I did! I'm not completely without manners."

"Not once have you ever offered me any kind of apology!" she snapped. "If you had, I wouldn't consider you to be such a scoundrel!" She turned and stomped off.

"Oh, come on! I'm certain I did." He jogged after her.

"Trust me, I would have remembered!"

He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her to a stop, turning her around to face him. "I'm sorry." He said. "I'm sorry that I was so rude to you, and I'm sorry that I didn't offer you an apology before."

She stared up at him and then let out a sigh. "Apology accepted."

"So what are you upset about now?" he asked, seeing the vexed look on her face.

"Now I don't have anything to be mad at you for." She murmured.

He laughed. "You know, you don't have to stay mad at me. We could be friends."

"That won't work." She shook her head, turning around and heading back towards the wagons again.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm still convinced that you're the reason I keep getting into these messes in the first place."

"Name one that was my fault?" he asked.

"The last time I fell in the river it was because of you!" she said. "And I nearly had to lie to my mother to explain why you came back to camp at the same time I did, soaking wet. Do you think she's going to believe me this time?"

"Believe you about what? We were being chased by wasps and jumped in the river. What's to explain?"

"It's not that!" she said.

"Then what is it?"

"Never mind!"

"Are you trying to be coy or are you really not going to tell me?"

"My parents think you like me, that's all!" she snapped.

"I do like you!"

"Don't be ridiculous! We barely even know each other."

"Well, I barely know Miss Lennon, either, but I'm fairly certain that I don't like her. How long do I have to know you before I can be sure about how I feel?"