Part 13

The paper quivered in my grasp, its edges crinkling under the pressure of my trembling hands. My chest tightened, constricting in an unfamiliar, painful way as if a cold hand had wrapped itself around my heart, squeezing relentlessly. Droplets of tears splashed onto the paper, soaking into the ink and smearing the words. I lifted my gaze, meeting August's eyes. They shimmered with unshed tears, mirroring the turmoil I felt.

"Y-you want the annulment?" The words stumbled out of my mouth, tripping over my disbelief.

August shook her head, her dark brown curls bouncing with the movement. "No."

Confusion washed over me, my mind a whirlpool of thoughts and emotions. "Then what the hell is this?" I held up the paper, my hands shaking noticeably. August's eyes squeezed shut, as if merely looking at the document was enough to wound her deeply. If it hurt her so much, why was she doing this? Was this some form of payback? "August, if this is about what I said, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I just...I needed to get back home and sort things out--"

"I know." Her soft and soothing voice accompanied her gentle touch as she cupped my face, providing the comfort I craved. "Before me, you had peace, Willow. Before me, you could walk anywhere, go anywhere without being harassed."

"Before you, I was lonely," I countered.

She shook her head again. "I'm sorry that I've brought you into this life and--"

"August, please don't do this. Please..." I pleaded, my voice breaking on the last word.

"Come here, Baby." She stepped towards me, pulling me into her arms. Her hug was tight and secure, as if she was trying to hold me together. "I would ruin myself for you a million little times, but I can't be the reason why it rains on you every day. I love you, Willow. So much."

Tears streamed down my face, soaking the fabric of her shirt as I clung to her. "A—"

She gently extricated herself from my arms, taking a few steps back. She lowered her glasses, hiding her tear-filled eyes behind the dark lenses. "It's going to be okay. I have something else for you." She reached into her pocket, pulling out a set of keys and holding them out to me. "Uhm, I tried to get it before the bank took it, but they were a real pain in the ass and wouldn't sell it to me. So, I, uh...I had to buy into the bank and, well, that took a while." She shrugged, her expression turning into a frown.

I stared at her with a ghostly expression. Did she really just say she bought into a bank. Just for a house? "How much did you spend?"

"It doesn't matter. You are worth every penny."

"Humour me."

She chewed her lip in contemplation for a minute before she said. "Fifty..."

"Thousand?"

"Million," she corrected. My heart almost failed me. Why would she do that!!! It's not even worth half a million. We could've gotten a hundred... Maybe not a hundred but a lot of houses for that. I felt like I could cry.

"It wasn't worth it."

"Maybe the house itself wasn't but the value it holds to you does. The memories, the joy it brings you. That is priceless, Willow." She offered me the keys again. "Uhm, it's untouched. Everything is still just the way it was. It means a lot to you so...here."

My hand shook as I reached out to take the keys from her. She hadn't really done all this. For me? I shook my head, trying to understand it all. "Aug—"

"Shhh." She silenced me with a finger to her lips. "I love you."

I rushed into her arms and pulled her into a tight hug. If this was to be my last day as Willow Sky Luis, August Skye's wife, I wanted to make the most of this day. I tasted the salt of my tears as I pressed my lips to hers but nothing else really mattered right now. Nothing else but her. "It was real for me too," I assured her. "I love you."