CHAPTER 19- MR DALFINGER

"Mr. Blackwell, I didn't expect you to visit this late. Come in." Ecrucio was surprised but was more curious about his arrival. He didn't think too much of it, considering he hadn't done much to gain the attention of the royal adviser. But somehow, in some way, deep in the back of his head, he thought that something was up. But he ignored it for the time being as he led Mortimer over to the counter of his shop so they could discuss matters relating to what he was here for. "So, what do I owe you? Surely a royal adviser such as yourself didn't come here just for a little chat," Ecrucio says as Mortimer smirks. "Of course. I do have a busy schedule. But I was hoping to exchange something for some information. Hopefully you can provide me some." Mortimer deals out. "Information? Well, I've been in this city for years, so I probably got some," Ecrucio says to him. "But wait here one moment; I believe I left something in the back that I must go get. It'll just be a second," Ecrucio says to him as he turns around to make his way to the back. But before he could even reach the doorway, Mortimer spoke up. "I know you have it," Mortimer says, which catches Ecrucio off guard as he looks back over to him. "Pardon?" he states. The tension in the air is rising as anxiety slowly builds up inside Ecrucio. "I said that I know you have the gemstone, Mr. Dalfinger," Mortimer repeats, which shook Ecrucio a bit. How did he know? Ecrucio asked himself but chose to play ignorant to it. Whatever he wanted, it was definitely something that he didn't want to give him.

"I have not the faintest clue as to what gemstone I have. I have plenty you can choose from if that's what you want," Ecrucio responds, but Mortimer is persistent with his prying. To the point that his prideful temper was showing a tiny bit. "Do you take me for a fool, old man? Your Magnum opus, a collaboration of two brilliant minds coming together to build a sword so powerful that it turned the tides of war. You really expect me that your last and final creation wouldn't crawl its way back to you. Your sins have not been forgiven, old man. You're even lucky that you and Solomon were accepted into this kingdom in the first place after the war, especially after the many lives that your sword took," Mortimer drawls on, which, at the end of it, made Ecrucio snap back at him. "That sword was not mine but his! I was merely just a helper." Ecrucio tries to defend, but Mortimer hits him back. "A helper was the main reason that the sword was so powerful. Solomon only specialized in enchanting. Sure, his weapons held great power on their own, but when mixed with yours, devastating is what I could call it," Mortimer points out as a sinister smile creeps up onto his face. Ecrucio's hands shook in place. His mind was racing back to that time in his life. He was right; Solomon's enchantments could only fall on a hundred men at most, but with his help... it killed not hundreds but thousands of soldiers. it was clear to him already that it was all his fault for the most part. But even now, he has yet to admit it truly to himself. Thus forcing him to live with his sins of the past trailing behind him like a road stained in blood. "What do you want, Blackwell? Are you here just to torture me with my past?" Ecrucio finally asks the big question. One that Mortimer was glad to answer for him.

"I might know that you have the gemstone, but I want to know who brought the gemstone to you," Mortimer revealed as Ecrucio gulped in nervousness. "And what if I don't tell you?" Ecrucio says as Mortimer laughs haughtily. "I did say I had something in exchange for it." He starts as an evil glint shines upon his eye. "In exchange for information... then you can assure the safety of your son." As soon as those words left Mortimer's lips, Ecrucio quickly marched on over and held him by his collar in a furious rage. "What have you done to my son!?" Ecrucio shouts, but Mortimer only laughs at his face. "Nothing yet... but if you refuse to tell me everything, then consider your boy to be in mortal danger. I do have the power to ensure that after all. So make your choice wisely, old man. You've got enough years to back that up now, don't you?" Mortimer says in a calm, whispering voice. Ecrucio couldn't help but look at the man in front of him in fear. To save his son from the monster in front of him, he has to endanger someone's life yet again. One whose image reminded him of himself. One he could consider a second son...