Chapter 13

Not much of the short ride to the Justice Building registers with me, except for the fact that so much has changed since last I saw the Capitol. The people are subdued, clothing wise and in their disposition. Much of the old, obnoxious Capitol flair is gone from the people walking the streets.
However, I do see an occasional person dressed in the finery that was once the norm. Sipping champagne in the afternoon, stumbling in heels, a drunken heartbreak making its way through the city, deluding themselves that the splendour they once knew is still roaring. Wigs crooked, faces caked in makeup that can't quite cover the cracks under the surface.
One woman, hugging a luminous pink fur coat around her, locks her eyes with mine. Her eyes are weighed down with sadness, fear, black bags.
I turn my eyes away.
I wonder now how my pretending not to see that tortured soul is any different to them pretending not to see us all those years.
Yes, on our way I see the 'civilised', men and women in business suits and modest clothing, crossing sides of the road to avoid those torn down in their prime. Telling their children to avoid them, the left in the wake of Snow's empire, deluding themselves it may return. That the beauty and grace are not dead and gone.
Effie has her eyes fixed to the windshield ahead of us, her lips pressed firmly together.
When she does look to the side, she sees an elder Capitol man in a purple pinstripe suit. He is holding an expensive liquor in one hand and the lid of the trash can he is vomiting in to in the other.
She exhales deeply, snapping her head forward and down, shutting her eyes.
I think better of comforting her. Effie prides herself in upholding her icy exterior. I do not wish to be the one to crack it, perhaps because I'm still collecting the shards of my own.

From the car we are ushered in to a lavish marble building, adorned with rich red carpet and expensive artwork.
Without so much as giving our names, we are escorted to a room with bay windows surrounding and a large mahogany table in the centre.
In one seat, Annie Cresta twirls her long red hair around her index finger, listening either to Johanna ranting opposite her, or the birds outside.
"Aha, the star-crossed lovers of district twelve." A tired Johanna Mason regards us, her feet up on the expensive desk. I hear Effie wince.
"Take a seat." She beckons us as though we are her guests and we follow suit. Peeta beside me, Haymitch opposite beside Johanna and Effie.
I turn to Annie on my right.
"Hello, Annie." She looks up and smiles, having not been aware of us coming in before now.
"Katniss." Her breathless voice sounds like wind on the sea.
"How have you been? How is Finn?" I ask, wondering after her son. I do not want to mention Finnick for fear of her reaction.
"He is fantastic. Two years old now, sharp as a tack, just like his dad." Her eyes are so bright, such a beautiful, vibrant colour. She pulls a picture from her bag of a little boy picking his way across the sand toward the camera, laughing. I feel a pang in my chest as I register that he has his fathers eyes, sea green.
"He's beautiful." I manage. And he is, but I cannot get the resemblance out of my mind.
"He really is. I love him very much, he is at home in Four with a friend of mine. I miss him terribly." She meets my eyes as she narrates her emotions to me, and all I can do is smile to keep from crying.
"I'd imagine you do." I squeeze her hand and she squeezes back, and the lines are blurred as to whether we are talking about father or son.

The door opens and we all turn around Beetee walks in with President Paylor, a troupe of politicians behind them, and we all stand to attention for some reason.
"Beetee's walking?" Peeta whispers to me. I shrug. I knew Beetee couldn't stay confined to the chair forever. Wouldn't let himself, I think with a slight smile.
"Welcome. You may be seated." Paylor announces, her hands resting on the head of the table. Everyone finds a seat except for her.
"A special welcome to our victors. I am glad you could all make it." We all mod, even Effie, and all I can think is how Paylor is almost unrecognisably...
Capitol.

One by one, she introduces the politicians and we pretend to care about who they are.
"As you know, we are reforming Panems government, in the way that we are making it an actual government, free of corruption, a reflection of how we hope to run this fine country." Paylor speaks matter-of-factly, to the point.
"We have enlisted the help of you, the former tributes, mentors, and..escorts" She gives Effie a pointed look. "..to keep this reformation pure and the perspectives diverse. We apologise as we know it is less that convenient for some of you, but I assure you that this is for the greater good." She regards us all one by one, her eyes lingering on me. I hold the eye contact with a stony glare of my own.
"What you mean is that you want us to stop you Capitol fat cats from accidentally organising another death show?" Johanna pipes up, cocking her head to the side and widening her eyes in mock innocence. "Oh, I apologise. That was last time we were all called together by the officials. Sorry." She gives a wicked smile and I don't think any of us have ever respected her more.
"Quite on the nose, actually, Ms. Mason. I am glad that we are all clear." Paylor retaliates coolly, briefly regarding Johanna before moving along, walking around the table at a slow pace.

"As Ms Mason has so accurately summed up, we have enlisted your help to keep us from swaying in a vengeful direction, to stop us from making the same mistake that the last reform did by instating the Hunger Games. Keep us from forgetting." Paylor meets my eyes, and I'm about to open my mouth when Peeta's smooth voice sounds from beside me.
"But President Paylor, 'Panem Never Forgets'."

----
Hiya :)
I actually updated on time! WOOPAH!
Hmmmmmm what do you reckon? How's this Capitol reform going to date out?

Thanks for reading! Please share, vote and comment, I love hearing from you guys!

Love always,
Jocelyn x