Chapter 11

Days later, I am staring through the luxury cabin of the train's window at District 11's vast countryside zipping past us. The train system, since it went public, has been vastly toned down. However, President Paylor insisted on giving us the first class train for our comfort on the long, overnight trip to the Capitol.
From my seat by the window, I look across at Effie, who is prattling on about the upholstery to hide her anxiety. She, like any of the rest of us, has not been back to the Capitol since the war and I can tell she's very nervous. Her auburn hair is not her original colour but vastly toned down from what it was like the last time we all rode a train to the Capitol together, and cascades down her back in shining, perfect ringlets. Her makeup is pale with intricate and bold black eyeliner on her eyes, which hold fear. She is dressed in purple, and while it isn't one of her crazy Capitol dresses it does have a certain flair that I can only describe as Effie's.
Haymitch, who is looking bored in the seat beside her, is wearing normal attire, a faded blue grandfather shirt and black pants with black leather shoes. I expected him to keep it casual, making a point to the officials.
Myself and Peeta have dressed in what Effie instructed- respectable, modest attire, even though the actual meetings don't start until tomorrow. I didn't have the guts to go against her on it, lest she have a breakdown. I can see her teetering on the edge as it is, and I don't want to push her. We're all a little antsy to be returning to the Capitol.

I look up at Peeta as he hands me a cup of coffee, setting one down on the end table for himself. I thank him and hold the steaming mug in both hands, tapping my nail absentmindedly against the crockery as I worry about the trip ahead.
On the one hand, I look forward to seeing Johanna and Annie, if they chose to accept the invitation. I grin, knowing Johanna would rather walk than get on a first class Capitol train.

I look over and smile at Peeta, who returns the gesture. Over the last few days we've been coming down from the dramatics that ensued that night in the graveyard, and the night after in the kitchen at 6am.
We're getting a new headstone cut, Peeta replaced the glass in the cabinet and bandaged up my hand. I pick distractedly at the edge of the bandage now, chewing my lip.

What exactly do they want from us? They've contently left us alone for more than a year. We had just begun rebuilding our lives when they reel us back in.
Peeta was voicing these concerns last night while packing, how unfairly we've been treated by the government, how no political reform can cover up years of slaughter and psychological damage. I suggested that maybe he should say something at the meeting, in front of all the politicians and the president. We deserve to have a voice, and Peeta would be the best candidate.
"I mean, they used us, Katniss! We were pieces in their games, and afterward. I was a piece for Snow, you were a piece for Coin. They pushed us around the board, manipulated us, made us speak for causes we didn't understand under pretences they didn't bother to explain. And now they expect our help again?" He ranted, shoving items of clothing in to his bag.
"Tell them that! Make it known that we won't stand for it. We're all behind you, Peeta!" I exclaimed, trying to make him understand how much we needed him.

He waved it off at the time, but I know that he's been considering it all day. Peeta is an unpredictable person who follows his heart rather than his head, so there's really no telling what'll happen later. Some politician could say a sentence that strikes a chord inside Peeta and he will abandon whatever disposition he had been upholding to, as Haymitch describes it, 'bring the verbal smackdown'.
I return my gaze to the window, where acres of cornfields and orchards stretch out all around us, only to fly by in an instant and be replaced by another. I can't help but think about Rue, the same way I do when I hear a bird in the trees or whistle her tune.
I shut my eyes tight against the memories of our first games. All the lives senselessly lost. Enemies I made that could've been my friends if we had met in different circumstances. Being proclaimed as a winner when really, you lost too.
I reach over and grip Peeta's hand, warm from the coffee mug and reassuring when he squeezes mind back. I know he's thinking about the same thing I am.

The lunch menu is presented to us. There are no longer any avox's. Being a train attendant is just another job available nowadays, and the young girl serving us is quite clearly doing this to support an education or perhaps a family. Her kind eyes and smile remind me that this girl, no more than eighteen years old, ever had to worry about another Reaping.
Suddenly, it becomes clear to me exactly why we're going to the Capitol.
To make sure that people like this girl never have to suffer that way again.
***
A day later, the train slows on its arrival in to the Capitol. Peeta and I are dressed in yet another of Effie's hand picked respectable outfits, she is in another artistic dress and Haymitch is yet again dressed casually. I can't help but admire the statement he is making, and I hope the government officials also acknowledge the velocity of said statement.

Having just polished off a bowl of fruit and yoghurt with a side of tea, I am once again gazing out the window, this time at the vast city, completely in contrast with the modest fields of District 11.
I almost wish the train wouldn't pull in to the station when it does. Haymitch and Effie exit with their bags and Peeta looks at me, carrying both of ours.
"Are you ready, Katniss?"
And I'm not sure I am.

---
Heyoo readers
So! The Capitol! How much do you think it has changed since the rebellion?
Are you guys liking the story so far? Any requests in particular? I've been getting nothing but lovely feedback which means a lot!

Favourite, comment and share!
Love always,
Jocelyn x