Chapter 3: Rumor Has It

Start from the beginning

I arrive at their house right on time. Lucas had asked me to get there early, before dinner, so he could show me around the new man cave Danielle let him fix up in the basement.

Except the asshole isn't even home yet. Danielle greets me at the door and tells me he went out on a beer run and to make myself at home until he returns.

She directs me to which room I'll be staying in and soon busies herself in her office, saying she just needs to make a few quick phone calls. I mumble a thank you as I walk upstairs.

I'm in the middle of unpacking my suitcase when I hear the distinct sound of a shower. Knowing that Danielle was downstairs, I'm too curious to ignore it. I'm not sure what I'm expecting, but the overwhelming scent of plum and a girl singing aren't one of them.

The bathroom is big enough to house a small orphanage. It's ridiculous, really, but nice nonetheless. I notice a girl's products on the countertop and a pink towel hanging on a hook. She's completely oblivious to my presence as she bellows out a tune, giving herself over to the lyrics. She sounds gorgeous.

I find myself in quite an odd predicament. I look to the other side of the bathroom, where another door is. She must be staying in the room next to mine and apparently, we have a shared bathroom.

I've dated in the past, so I know what it's like to share a bathroom with a chick. However, it's been a long time, too long since I've experienced anything like that. It's how I need it to be now. After my life shattered, I cut off any emotion I could to avoid feeling the pain of losing Tris. Being numb and cold is the only way I've been able to continue with my life. Not being close to anyone means I can't feel that kind of pain ever again.

I grab her toothbrush like it's second nature. I soon realize I forgot my Face mist.

Hearing her yelp the moment she spots me brings me an odd kind of joy. I assume she's one of Danielle's uppity friends, so I decide to mess with the girl.

Seeing her shocked, pissed-off facial expression makes it hard to resist teasing her. She's yelling at me, screaming for me to leave. The moment my eyes land on her wet, smooth skin, I feel determined as ever to give this girl a hard time. She's probably used to maids, high-priced china, and escorts driving her around. A little teasing will do her some good.

Watching her squirm as I peek into the shower makes my heart race. She reacts like any typical girl would—embarrassed and surprised. Hanni has nothing to be insecure about. Before she shoves me away, I get a good look for myself. Sketchy, I know, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't.

The moment she walks out naked and fearless, I find myself smirking and wondering if she tastes as good as she smells. Sweet plum. The way she yanks the towel out of my hand and struts out of the bathroom— completely naked—shot the blood right down the center of my body. Gone is the skittish girl. She's testing me now—loud and proud.

I finish unpacking and head back downstairs. Lucas and Danielle are in the kitchen, unpacking his bags of beer and alcohol.

"GG!" he shouts as soon as he sees me. "You made it, man!" Most of my friends from college still call me that, but I wasn't that girl anymore—the careless, impulsive one that had the world on a string.

I've already lost everything.

He strides toward me, clasping his hand in mine and slapping me on the back. His face is completely lit up and it's evident how happy he is.

"Good seeing you, man." I pat his back. "Nice pad you've got here." I grin toward Danielle as she scowls at the word 'pad'.

He backs up, looking around the kitchen in easy amusement. "Yeah…it'll do, I suppose." He rubs the light stubble on his chin, earning an elbow jab from Danielle.