Britain, 6th Century

"Don't do this."

     Arturus rolled his eyes and gave a deep sigh. "We've been through this." Caliburnus gleamed in the torchlight as Arturus gave it a cursory inspection. "I've made my decision. Do not forget which of us is king here, Ambrosius."

     "I haven't forgotten!" Frustration caused Ambrosius to slap his hands on the wooden table. He took a deep breath, focusing on the feel of the wood beneath his hands, trying to use it to focus his mind. "My liege, I have ever been your greatest supporter," he tried instead. "Even before you became king, I have supported you. I taught you to be a wise and noble ruler. I gave you this table so that you would always remember what I taught you. You have met or exceeded my expectations and thus earned your people's love. But I cannot support you in this. Modredus is..."

     "My nephew is my problem and mine alone. I will not have what happens between us be tainted by any other sources, no matter how well-intentioned they seem to be." Sliding Caliburnus back into its sheath, Arturus came over, gently taking the shoulder of his friend and advisor. "I know you mean well," he said softly. "Never think for a moment that I do not appreciate your wisdom and guidance. Yours has been the one voice I never doubted. When you were gone...?"

     "When I was gone, when my voice was taken away, you were led astray, and I blame myself for that as much as any other. Had I not been distracted, I would have seen what was happening and taken steps to stop or prevent it. Instead, my absence has resulted in your betrayal by those you trusted most." Ambrosius squeezed his eyes shut. "I cannot ask for your forgiveness. All I can ask is your patience. Do not do this. Do not meet Modredus today."

     "Were it not for Modredus, I never would have believed it. That my first and most trusted knight could make a cuckold of me and slay Engrevain for exposing them? Not even you could have convinced me otherwise. I was blinded by love." Now, he looked at his friend and smiled. "You, more than most, know what that is like. And here I'd always wondered if a son of the fae could fall in love?"

     "Yes," Ambrosius hissed through clenched teeth. "I do know only too well of the perils of love. I made my mistakes with Viviane, which cost me more than you know. But it also gives me insight into you. Because it is your own broken heart, not the heart of a king, that drives you toward this battle. Arturus, if you go now, there may indeed be victory in your future. But that victory will come at too great a cost."

     The king waved a hand. "The victory is all that matters."

     "I did not escape my wife's prison only to see you march willingly to your death!" Ambrosius exclaimed. Moving to take Arturus's shoulders, he gave the man a shake. "I beg of you," he pleaded. "Reconsider. Or at least allow me to accompany you?"

     But even as he pleaded, Ambrosius saw the determined look in Arturus's eyes, the set of his shoulders. "This fight is mine alone," he declared. "I will fight it with none of your sorcery." He smiled. "Have hope, Ambrosius. The day will be won and by the hand of mortal man alone. Then Guanhumara will return, and perhaps even the damage Viviane has done can be mended. For I still believe it was some dark spell of hers, not any desire to betray me, that caused this evil."

     "Viviane did indeed carry him off and raise him, but she can hardly be blamed for..."

     But Arturus had stopped listening. Already, he'd turned his back on Ambrosius, heading out to fight. Fool, Ambrosius thought sadly. You desperate, love-sick fool.

****

     "So you've returned," Viviane called, "even after you told me you never would."