Werewolf Wednesday: All about werewolf rankings

October 18, 2023

Werewolf and lycan packs operate under a strict hierarchical order, one that defines relationships and serves as a backdrop to the supernatural drama that unfolds in the Lost Luna Series, written by Heather Miller (XDeafening_SilenceX). Read on to learn more about pack hierarchies and rankings, and how Nova (aka the lost luna) stands as the quintessential embodiment of strength and leadership within this intricate framework.

Understanding Pack Hierarchies

1. Alpha and Luna Dominance

At the apex of the pack hierarchy are the Alpha leaders, the embodiment of strength, authority, and responsibility. These Alphas are often purebloods with potent abilities, responsible for guiding and protecting their packs. They command respect, loyalty, and allegiance from their pack members. The Luna is the mate of an Alpha, and the dominant female of the pack. They take on a mother role and are responsible for bearing offspring, nurturing the pack, and helping their mate make important decisions.

2. Beta

Betas are second in command and serve as the Alpha's right-hand wolves. They are often the most trusted members of the pack and can assume leadership roles in the Alpha's absence. Betas are also responsible for maintaining order within the pack and assisting with decision-making.

3. Gamma/Delta

The Gamma or Delta wolves are lower-ranking members of the pack. They follow the lead of the Alpha and Betas and are expected to obey pack rules. These wolves may also take on specific roles within the pack, such as hunters, scouts, enforcers, or sentinels. Gammas are the advisors, healers, and strategists within the pack, playing a vital role in decision-making and maintaining harmony. They're often responsible for the physical protection of the pack. 

4. Omega

The Omega is the lowest rank within a pack. They are often newcomers, outsiders, or those who have fallen out of favor. Omegas may be subjected to bullying and mistreatment but are integral to the pack's social structure, as they serve as a release valve for pent-up tensions.

5. Lycans

Lycans are a distinct bloodline or subspecies of werewolves with unique powers and abilities. They may hold a special position within the pack hierarchy due to their lineage and abilities. In some stories, Lycans are considered ancient and powerful beings.

Nova's Unparalleled Dominance

1. Nova's Ancestral Pedigree

Nova, the protagonist in Lost Luna, emerges as an exceptional and unprecedented figure who defies traditional pack dynamics, despite beginning as an abused, orphaned Omega. Her unique heritage is a key element in her ascent to unparalleled dominance—she's a hybrid, born to a pureblood mother and a lycan father, which grants her an extraordinary blend of abilities and powers. This lineage sets her apart and makes her the epitome of strength and leadership within the supernatural world of the Lost Luna Series.

2. A Fusion of Unique Abilities

Nova's hybrid lineage gives her a unique blend of magical abilities. She inherits the mystical powers of her pureblood mother, which include visions of the future. These powers grant her a distinctive advantage in confrontations, allowing her to be forewarned about enemies and dangers ahead of time or otherwise be able to glean important information that helps protect and save people.

3. Leadership Mastery

Nova's ascendancy extends beyond her magical prowess. She possesses exceptional leadership qualities that set her apart from others, along with a past that makes her relatable and understanding to her pack mates. Her unique perspective, forged by her hybrid heritage, allows her to bridge the gaps between different factions within the supernatural world. Nova's ability to foster unity, make strategic decisions, and command respect from diverse pack members positions her as a natural leader.

Want more? S4: Forever Luna is out now! Read the story today... or wait until it's free (See below 👀)

Here is the FREE story schedule for the Lost Luna series:

🐺 October 4-13: Season 1: Lost Luna - If you missed this, don't worry! Lost Luna will remain free except the last 10 chapters. 

🐺 October 11-20: Season 2: Finding Luna - FREE

🐺 October 18-27: Season 3: Always Luna - FREE

🐺 October 25-Nov 3: Season 4: Forever Luna - FREE (plus, you can get a chance to win Coin prizes this week so make sure you're caught up on the last 3 seasons!) 

 Read or reread the first three seasons to prepare yourself for Season 4! 🌙

— Wattpad HQ