Fandoms can be safe spaces. Here's how you can help make them even safer

April 28, 2023

We're all fans of something, whether that's an actor, singer or a particular movie franchise. But when we hear the term "fandom," we know it means something more. There's an undeniable electricity that happens when people come together over a shared love and enjoyment of an aspect of popular culture, like a movie, book, band, or celebrity. Fandom communities offer a sense of belonging—a place where people can lean into that thing they adore and be fully accepted for their interest, no matter how niche.

When you're part of a community dedicated to the adoration of a person, place, or thing, it's all too easy for that unwavering devotion to put important nuances—like the experience of marginalized people within fandoms—on the backburner. Fandoms are spaces for acceptance and belonging, so how can we work together to make them safe for all?

1. Centering intersectional voices

The beauty of online communities is how diverse they can be, and protecting that space requires understanding nuance—and remembering that not everyone in a community feels or acts the same.

When Lizzo and Beyoncé both dropped songs last year that included the word "spaz," a slang term that originated as a description for muscle spasms, their respective fandoms came to the conversation with different perspectives. Though both singers removed the word after getting heat for it, the conversation widely centered the voices of white disabled people who considered it ableist. Their voices overshadowed a conversation being had amongst Black disabled fans around the world, addressing how the term has been used differently in their home countries. Recognizing that more than one thing can be true—especially for people whose identities meet at the intersection of multiple marginalizations—sparks deeper and more nuanced conversations, ideas and solutions when situations like this arise. When we work together to understand each other's complexities and center on marginalized and intersectional voices, we're able to cause less harm and build stronger communities.

2. Embracing diversity

One of the most important steps towards inclusivity in fandom is actively welcoming and embracing diversity, which looks like acknowledging and celebrating differences in race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, ability, and more. Fandoms that are open and welcome to people of all backgrounds make everyone feel like they belong and are valued. When we work together to find bold and innovative ways to share resources and support vulnerable members of our communities, we can make a real impact in the world.

In 2020, K-pop fans made headlines after K-pop group BTS donated $1 million in support of Black Lives Matter. The band's fans, known as ARMY, rushed to match their donation in a matter of 25 hours. Earlier that year, they also banded together to overtake racist hashtags, crash a Dallas, Tx., police app, and disrupt Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa. While ARMY came together over a love for BTS, they demonstrated the importance of supporting causes that affect everyone in their crew—and the unending value of showing that supporting each other supports their fandom.

3. Addressing bad behavior

Fandoms aren't immune to toxic behavior like bullying, harassment, and exclusion—but they're always coming together to address unsavory behavior to keep their communities as safe as they can be. When Lana Del Rey made her recent comeback to the music industry, society's unfortunate obsession with bodies reared its ugly head with many noting (mostly on Twitter and Reddit) the ways her body had changed over the last few years. But her core fandom came to her defense, pointing out that her body isn't the most important thing about her (or important at all) and that fatphobia is wrong, showing that it's not only possible for fans to disagree but to also prioritize social justice within their groups and beyond. Fans addressing bad behavior within their own communities is an important way to push the needle towards greater inclusivity.

4. Creating safe spaces

Creating safe spaces within fandom communities can help marginalized groups feel more comfortable participating in what brought them together in the first place. There's much fans can do to work towards it together, like starting forums or chat rooms specifically for women, LGBTQ+ folks, or people of color, for example.

The beauty of being part of a fandom community is that they're often a space where free thought and critical conversations are encouraged. Wattpad strives to be a place where readers and writers come to share their stories, embrace diversity, and connect over the worlds and characters they love. So let's work together to make fandom communities safe spaces for each other. Because at Wattpad, we want everyone to feel like they belong.

What are some ways you feel safe being part of your chosen fandom(s)?