Greek mythology in storytelling: The Hidalgo Brothers

June 19, 2023

See below for Spanish. // A continuación, encontrarás la versión en español.

Has it been a while since you studied Greek mythology in school? Us, too. But there's no denying that some of the greatest life lessons we learned from the ancient stories are still so relevant today (you might not even realize it!). From envy and courage to vengeance and love, some of the most captivating themes come straight from those texts—and show up as juicy story tropes in some of your favorite Wattpad reads today.

The Hidalgo Brothers Trilogy (Through My Window, Through You, and Through the Rain), written by Ariana Godoy, follows the different journeys of three brothers—Ares, Artemis, and Apolo—through love, loss, and heartbreak

The Hidalgo Brothers Trilogy (Through My Window, Through You, and Through the Rain), written by Ariana Godoy, follows the different journeys of three brothers—Ares, Artemis, and Apolo—through love, loss, and heartbreak. And aside from having to fan ourselves over how hot Ariana's stories are, they're also so irresistible because of how much the brothers' stories differ—and how alike they are to their Greek namesakes.

Here, we break down each brother's traits, how they relate to their Greek god, and how they differ so greatly from each other. In case it's been a minute since you last studied Greek mythology, here's a quick refresher.

Ares — The Problem Brother

Through My Window  follows Ares and Raquel, and their love story that began with a simple Wi-Fi password. In Greek Mythology, Ares is the god of war and male virility—and the Ares of Wattpad doesn't stray far from his origins. Some middle children are the peacemakers, while others are just focused on themselves—and that's totally Ares. He gives classic Middle Child of the latter variety—independent, totally unbothered, and, at times, a liiittle problematic.

His aggressive and rebellious nature makes this a classic bad boy story we all love, while his ladies' man tendencies ensure that he gets what he wants. But there's a reason why Raquel likes him outside of the fiery passion, and that's in his moments of sweetness and sincerity, deviating a bit from the Greek Ares that only represents the brutality of war.

Ares and Raquel's love story continues in Through My Window: Across the Sea, inspired by Ariana's Wattpad trilogy, which premiers June 23 on Netflix.

Artemis — The Dedicated Brother

Artemis and Claudia's love story is found in the pages of Though You, the second book of the trilogy. Much like the goddess Artemis, he's known for both his capricious and dangerous sides, which comes out in the way he plays hot and cold with Claudia after returning home from school. But Artemis is earnest as heck—just like the Greek goddess's knack for survival, hunting, and tracking, Artemis will stop at nothing to have Claudia for himself.